Marlene Roman

5/2/2002 8:12:00 PM

Hello!!

I've been developing Mobile Applications that are accessed
using the browser, and these applications basically
consists in .asp pages and in-process Components written
in Visual Basic 6.0, now I'm trying to move to Visual
Studio.NET, and starting to write my new applications with
this new version of Visual Studio.

I've been reading about ASP.NET and WebServices, OK the
the ASP.NET pages (.aspx) will replace my .asp pages, but
I'm not sure if is a good idea to implement my Visual
Basic componentes like WebServices, because all the logic
that is written there, is for internal use of my
applicacion. As I understand I should use WebServices to
implement funcionality that I need to expose or share with
my clients.

I now that there is something named COM+ in Visual
Studio.NET, and I supposed that this is the new "version"
of my old COM, I haven't researched enough yet but until
now I only have seen reference of COM+ written in C#, I
don't know why.

I now that I can write VB 6.0 components and then use them
in my ASP.NET applications, but I really don't wanna do
that unless there is a good reason for it.

My question is?? Given my old Architecture of .ASP pages
and VB 6.0 .dll components, how should I move to Visual
Studio.NET, with aspx pages and WebServices, or .aspx
pages and COM+?? Can COM+ be written in Visual Basic??

Thank you very much in advance.

Marlene Roman
WDS

1 Answer

Craig Deelsnyder

Yes, you will write your pages in .aspx (ASP.NET) files. And hopefully
you'll use code-behind classes :-) for logic.

Business logic can just go into what are called 'Component's, these are the
objects you'll want to create in your project. These usually go in the /bin
folder of your app (only your app sees them). Or you can add them into the
global cache for use by other apps, even VB.NET apps, etc.. But if the
code's only for you, then that makes the most sense.

I don't see a need right now for using COM+, unless you need some of its
management services (transactions, etc.). Or if you want to expose your
component for use by some COM object. From what I can see, you should never
hear the word 'COM' again!

Yes, I picture web services as used by other apps, but you can see how
components let other managed apps run the same code. Web services' power
comes in the lightweight and standards-based protocol it uses, and I picture
mainly for 'disparate' systems sharing information (or on separate
machines). IMHO, of course!