WebBuilder451

7/22/2009 4:05:00 PM

i'm looking for a simple example of a server control that just dumps a table
of x rows and y columns. I am new to server controls, can output a text value
with other properties seen in the designer and i can actually build the
table, but am having a little trouble getting output. The best i've got so
far is the default tostring method that identifies the table control type.
--
(i''ll be asking a lot of these, but I find C# totally way cooler than vb
and there''s no go''n back!!!)

kes
3 Answers

Erjan Gavalji

The server control output is done in two ways. If you need a specific HTML
to be output, you should override the Render method and write the HTML to
the HtmlTextWriter.
On the other hand, if you just need some additional functionality over the
HTMLTable control, you could either
- write a class that inherits from it and modify the properties,
- or you could use an HTMLTable control as a member of your class and use an
override of the CreateChildControls method.

The first approach is the most powerful one, you have control over anything,
but it is of course slower.

Cheers,
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik

"WebBuilder451" <WebBuilder451@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i'm looking for a simple example of a server control that just dumps a
> table
> of x rows and y columns. I am new to server controls, can output a text
> value
> with other properties seen in the designer and i can actually build the
> table, but am having a little trouble getting output. The best i've got so
> far is the default tostring method that identifies the table control type.
> --
> (i''ll be asking a lot of these, but I find C# totally way cooler than vb
> and there''s no go''n back!!!)
> thanks (as always)
>
> kes

WebBuilder451

i thought i was doing that: here is my code
protected override void RenderContents(HtmlTextWriter output)
{

var t = new Table();
var tds = new TableCell[Rows, Cols];
for (int i = 0; i < Rows; i++)
{
t.Rows.Add(new TableRow());
for (int j = 0; j < Cols; j++)
{
tds[i, j] = new TableCell { Text = "*" }; // create
an extended table cells with an object initilizers and events
tds[i, j].Width = 50;
t.Rows[i].Cells.Add(tds[i, j]);
tds[i, j].ForeColor = (j % 2).Equals(0) ?
System.Drawing.Color.Green : System.Drawing.Color.Red;
}

}
output.Write(t);
}

what this gets me is, and i think i understand why:
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Table

still not sure what i need to override the rows, cells, table?

--

"Erjan Gavalji" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The server control output is done in two ways. If you need a specific HTML
> to be output, you should override the Render method and write the HTML to
> the HtmlTextWriter.
> On the other hand, if you just need some additional functionality over the
> HTMLTable control, you could either
> - write a class that inherits from it and modify the properties,
> - or you could use an HTMLTable control as a member of your class and use an
> override of the CreateChildControls method.
>
> The first approach is the most powerful one, you have control over anything,
> but it is of course slower.
>
> Cheers,
> Erjan Gavalji
> Telerik
>
> "WebBuilder451" <WebBuilder451@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > i'm looking for a simple example of a server control that just dumps a
> > table
> > of x rows and y columns. I am new to server controls, can output a text
> > value
> > with other properties seen in the designer and i can actually build the
> > table, but am having a little trouble getting output. The best i've got so
> > far is the default tostring method that identifies the table control type.
> > --
> > (i''ll be asking a lot of these, but I find C# totally way cooler than vb
> > and there''s no go''n back!!!)
> > thanks (as always)
> >
> > kes

WebBuilder451

my code:
protected override void RenderContents(HtmlTextWriter output)
{

var t = new Table();
var tds = new TableCell[Rows, Cols];
for (int i = 0; i < Rows; i++)
{
t.Rows.Add(new TableRow());
for (int j = 0; j < Cols; j++)
{
tds[i, j] = new TableCell { Text = "*" }; // create
an extended table cells with an object initilizers and events
tds[i, j].Width = 50;
t.Rows[i].Cells.Add(tds[i, j]);
tds[i, j].ForeColor = (j % 2).Equals(0) ?
System.Drawing.Color.Green : System.Drawing.Color.Red;
}

}
output.Write(t);
}
this is getting me: System.Web.UI.WebControls.Table for out put. This is the
reasion i'm asking, i'm not sure what else i need to do, hense i was hoping
for a crude example.