Re: quality of error messages

Peña, Botp

10/9/2004 12:59:00 AM

Markus [mailto:markus@reality.com] wrote:

> * Augmenting 'end' (optionally) with a structure keyword and a
> name might be possible. It would certainly provide enough
> information, but may or may not be implementable

*How I wish I were as good as many of the people here (good in english and
programming).

when I said: "make extended ends(endclass/enddef/endif) optional and make
them synonyms to end, thus programmer is free to use them or not",

I am _not advocating that we use all the extended ends. I am very happy w
the simplicity and flexibility of the simple "end".

I am only suggesting that we (if possible):

1. make endif/enddef/endclass optional and synonyms of end. Compiler does
not care, but -c with_extended_end does (otoh, if it indeed cares, then much
better).

2. as a matter of style, make the use of extended ends sparingly (it is
programmer's fault if his code looks dirty). Only use it with fear..

3. even a simple insertion of one endif eg, can help a lot in matching
pairs. One does not need to splat codes w endfoos...

Is #1 not implementable because of #2 & #3?

>-- Markus

kind regards -botp

1 Answer

Markus

Sorry if I was not clear. I have no reason to think it would be
hard to implement, but I haven't looked at how to do it (and am only
just learning the parser), so I don't want to declare that it would be
easy, or even possible.

-- Markus