[Ruby Forum] 100 registered users

Alexey Verkhovsky

10/8/2004 7:37:00 PM

Ruby Forum has crossed the 100 registered users threshold in less than a
month. Thanks to everybody who are contributing!

Best regards,
Alexey Verkhovsky

P.S. By the way, I've never seen site stats where Mozilla is beating
Explorer and a bewildering variety of *nixes is on par with MS Windows.
Until we started this BBS, that is. What a bunch of geeks this lot is...
:)))

23 Answers

Lyle Johnson

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 04:36:30 +0900, Alexey Verkhovsky <alex@verk.info> wrote:

> Ruby Forum has crossed the 100 registered users threshold in less than a
> month. Thanks to everybody who are contributing!

Here's a link to it:

http://www.ruby...

Lyle

Gavin Sinclair

On Saturday, October 9, 2004, 5:36:30 AM, Alexey wrote:

> Ruby Forum has crossed the 100 registered users threshold in less than a
> month. Thanks to everybody who are contributing!

Congratulations, Alex. I've been impressed with the range of
questions and comments. It's a good contribution to the community.

Cheers,
Gavin

thomas p.

"Rockinghorse Winner" <rwinner@remove_this.hmamail.com> skrev i meddelelsen
>* It may have been the liquor talking, but
> DanielSan <danielsan1977@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 1/22/2012 12:03 PM, Patrick wrote:
>>> "Ralph"<mmman_90@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> At the beginning.
>>> There had to be a cause. We call this: ..... God.
>>
>> Why?
>>

> Yes.
>
> Your question IS the eternal question. There IS no answer, since if we
> should know the answer we should know God. IOW, the 'why' question is one
> of
> the signposts that point to God.

Not if you are sane.

--
thomas p

Ignorance is the mother of devotion.

David Hume

Christopher A. Lee

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 23:36:01 +0100, "thomas p." <gudloos@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>"Rockinghorse Winner" <rwinner@remove_this.hmamail.com> skrev i meddelelsen

>> Your question IS the eternal question. There IS no answer, since if we
>> should know the answer we should know God. IOW, the 'why' question is one
>> of
>> the signposts that point to God.
>
>Not if you are sane.

He isn't.

DanielSan

On 1/22/2012 1:10 PM, Rockinghorse Winner wrote:
> * It may have been the liquor talking, but
> DanielSan<danielsan1977@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 1/22/2012 12:03 PM, Patrick wrote:
>>> "Ralph"<mmman_90@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> At the beginning.
>>> There had to be a cause. We call this: ..... God.
>>
>> Why?
>>

> Yes.
>
> Your question IS the eternal question. There IS no answer, since if we
> should know the answer we should know God. IOW, the 'why' question is one of
> the signposts that point to God.

No. Why do you call this "cause" God? If you have absolutely NO
evidence for your assertions, then how do you know it's God?

What are the characteristics (beyond "first cause") for this deity? How
do you know it's not leprechauns? Unicorns? The Great Green
Arkleseizure? ANYTHING YOU CAN THINK OF?

Patrick

"DanielSan" <danielsan1977@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On 1/22/2012 12:03 PM, Patrick wrote:
>> "Ralph"<mmman_90@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> So this is your evidence that goddidit? That's great, all you have to do
>>> is show how and when god interjected (him, her, it) self into the
>>> process.
>>
>> At the beginning.
>> There had to be a cause. We call this: ..... God.
>
> Why?

Because.
Who created God?

This is an age-old question that has plagued all those who like to

think about the big questions. Why do you think your little pea brain can

contemplate the answer to this? Do you feel you are special?
Join the huge club of overinflated ego's trying to impress others.

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth (Genesis 1:1)

The idea that God created time, along with the physical universe, is not
just some wacky modern Christian interpretation of the Bible. Justin Martyr,
a second century Christian apologist, in his Hortatory Address to the
Greeks, said that Plato got the idea that time was created along with the
universe

How does God acting before time began get around the problem of God's
creation? There are two possible interpretations of these verses. One is
that God exists outside of time. Since we live in a universe of cause and
effect, we naturally assume that this is the only way in which any kind of
existence can function. However, the premise is false. Without the dimension
of time, there is no cause and effect, and all things that could exist in
such a realm would have no need of being caused, but would have always
existed. Therefore, God has no need of being created, but, in fact, created
the time dimension of our universe specifically for a reason - so that cause
and effect would exist for us. However, since God created time, cause and
effect would never apply to His existence.

The idea that God can be eternal leads us to the idea that maybe the
universe is eternal, and, therefore, God doesn't need to exist at all.
Actually, this was the prevalent belief of atheists before the observational
data of the 20th century strongly refuted the idea that the universe was
eternal.

When Stephen Hawking, George Ellis, and Roger Penrose extended the equations
for general relativity to include space and time, the results showed that
time has a beginning - at the moment of creation (i.e., the Big Bang).3 In
fact, if you examine university websites, you will find that many professors
make such a claim - that the universe had a beginning and that this
beginning marked the beginning of time

God has no need to have been created, since He exists either outside time
(where cause and effect do not operate) or within multiple dimensions of
time (such that there is no beginning of God's plane of time). Hence God is
eternal, having never been created. Although it is possible that the
universe itself is eternal, eliminating the need for its creation,
observational evidence contradicts this hypothesis, since the universe began
to exist a finite ~13.7 billion years ago. The only possible escape for the
atheist is the invention of a kind of super universe, which can never be
confirmed experimentally (hence it is metaphysical in nature, and not
scientific).

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/who_create...

Patrick

"Free Lunch" <lunch@nofreelunch.us> wrote

On 1/22/2012 4:30 PM, Patrick wrote:
> "DanielSan"<danielsan1977@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On 1/22/2012 12:03 PM, Patrick wrote:
>>> "Ralph"<mmman_90@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> At the beginning.
>>> There had to be a cause. We call this: ..... God.
>>
>> Why?
>
> Because.

I haven't heard that one since I was 6 years old.

<snip things I've already answered to>

Ralph

On 1/22/2012 3:03 PM, Patrick wrote:
> "Ralph"<mmman_90@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On 1/21/2012 9:11 AM, Patrick wrote:
>>> "Ralph"<mmman_90@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Scientists are convinced that our universe began with one enormous
>>> explosion
>>> of energy and light, which we now call the Big Bang. This was the
>>> singular
>>> start to everything that exists: the beginning of the universe, the start
>>> of
>>> space, and even the initial start of time itself. Astrophysicist Robert
>>> Jastrow, a self-described agnostic, stated, "The seed of everything that
>>> has
>>> happened in the Universe was planted in that first instant; every star,
>>> every planet and every living creature in the Universe came into being as
>>> result of events that were set in motion in the moment of the cosmic
>>> explosion...The Universe flashed into being, and we cannot find out what
>>> caused that to happen." Steven Weinberg, a Nobel laureate in Physics,
>>> said
>>> at the moment of this explosion, "the universe was about a hundred
>>> thousands
>>> million degrees Centigrade...and the universe was filled with light."
>>> The
>>> universe has not always existed. It had a start...what caused that?
>>> Scientists have no explanation for the sudden explosion of light and
>>> matter.
>>

>> So this is your evidence that goddidit? That's great, all you have to do
>> is show how and when god interjected (him, her, it) self into the process.
>
> At the beginning.
> There had to be a cause. We call this: ..... God.

Did their have to be a cause? Does the first cause need a cause? A point
of physics that is asked by many physicists and cosmologists today. Go
to your church library and learn something new.

Rockinghorse Winner

* It may have been the liquor talking, but
DanielSan <danielsan1977@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/22/2012 1:10 PM, Rockinghorse Winner wrote:
>> * It may have been the liquor talking, but
>> DanielSan<danielsan1977@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Why?
>>>

>> Yes.
>>
>> Your question IS the eternal question. There IS no answer, since if we
>> should know the answer we should know God. IOW, the 'why' question is one of
>> the signposts that point to God.
>
> No. Why do you call this "cause" God? If you have absolutely NO
> evidence for your assertions, then how do you know it's God?
>
> What are the characteristics (beyond "first cause") for this deity? How
> do you know it's not leprechauns? Unicorns? The Great Green
> Arkleseizure? ANYTHING YOU CAN THINK OF?

the things you listed _include_ non-existence in their definitions. that's
the most important reason why we don't mention them as possible causes.

God is different. The definition of God _includes_ existence in the
definition. In fact god is the only being that includes existence in it's
definition: it is the Necessary Being.

Terry