Instiki storage crashed

Leonid Khachaturov

It seems that I've lost my wiki as a result of an unexpected reboot. I'm
getting the following error:
"Internal Server Error. incompatible marshal file format (can't be read)
format version 4.8 required; 0.0 given"

Is there something that can be done to restore my data? If not, can
something be done by David to avoid such problems (maybe something can
be tweaked in the persistence layer?)

--
With best regards,
Leonid Khachaturov

3 Answers

David Heinemeier Hansson

> Is there something that can be done to restore my data? If not, can
> something be done by David to avoid such problems (maybe something can
> be tweaked in the persistence layer?)

Instiki keeps a backup for each day. Go to storage/2500 and remove the
last file and the command_log. Then you'll have reverted your wiki to
how it looked yesterday.

And the crashing problem is indeed something to look at. I believe it's
a Madeleine issue. Are you on windows? Which version of instiki?
--
David Heinemeier Hansson,
http://www.rubyon... -- Web-application framework for Ruby

Anders Bengtsson

--- Leonid Khachaturov <lenya@chemsell.yaroslavl.ru> wrote:

> "Internal Server Error. incompatible marshal file format (can't be
> read)
> format version 4.8 required; 0.0 given"
>
> Is there something that can be done to restore my data? If not, can
> something be done by David to avoid such problems (maybe something
> can
> be tweaked in the persistence layer?)

Hi Leonid,

As the author of Madeleine, Instiki's storage engine, I'm very
interested in this kind of failure. Could you please e-mail me all your
Instiki data files? Unless they contain some sensitive or private data
of course, then we'll have to find another way.

/Anders

=====
Anders Bengtsson ndrsbngtssn@yahoo.se
Stockholm, Sweden

Markus

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 06:24, David Heinemeier Hansson wrote:
> > Is there something that can be done to restore my data? If not, can
> > something be done by David to avoid such problems (maybe something can
> > be tweaked in the persistence layer?)
>
> Instiki keeps a backup for each day. Go to storage/2500 and remove the
> last file and the command_log. Then you'll have reverted your wiki to
> how it looked yesterday.

Generic Good Advice: remove in this context means "move somewhere"
not "delete"; you can always delete it later, if it turns out you had
correctly diagnosed the problem and this fixes it. But if the actual
problem is something else, it's nice to be able to undo the
inappropriate "fixes." I'm not saying that you and David aren't both
spot on (I have no way to know), just that caution is most important
when you are least likely to exercise it.

-- Markus