Re: quality of error messages

Peña, Botp

10/8/2004 10:25:00 AM

gabriele renzi [mailto:rff_rff@remove-yahoo.it] wrote:

> > As for determining for wc end,
> >
> > 1. maybe we introduce optional endclass, endif, enddef
> > 2. maybe we do python style force indent
> >

> I don't understand: why people find it so hard to indent
> their code by themself ? :)

no, you understood it. It is indeed easy to indent (otherwise py lang would
die a natural death :)

the concern is if you miss an end. You should try it. Ruby does not care of
indents and assumes cascades for enclosing ends (ends of classes are ends,
ends of defs are ends, etc). The domino effect makes it difficult for ruby
to detect missing pairs..

kind regards -botp

2 Answers

robert bowman

"Peña, Botp" wrote:

> no, you understood it. It is indeed easy to indent (otherwise py lang
> would die a natural death :)

One of the major complaints about Python is not the indentation itself, but
the necessity to have exactly the same number of whitespace characters in
th indentation. A cut and paste sequence often requires considerable fixup.

I haven't looked around the net yet, but is there a better Vim syntax set
for Ruby than what comes with the Vim distro? In C, the '%' is an easy way
to check blocks to make sure the closing } matches the corect {.

Gavin Sinclair

On Friday, October 8, 2004, 11:19:48 PM, bowman wrote:

> "Peña, Botp" wrote:

>> no, you understood it. It is indeed easy to indent (otherwise py lang
>> would die a natural death :)

> One of the major complaints about Python is not the indentation itself, but
> the necessity to have exactly the same number of whitespace characters in
> th indentation. A cut and paste sequence often requires considerable fixup.

> I haven't looked around the net yet, but is there a better Vim syntax set
> for Ruby than what comes with the Vim distro? In C, the '%' is an easy way
> to check blocks to make sure the closing } matches the corect {.

http://vim-ruby.rub...

Cheers,
Gavin