Content Managing System in Ruby

Mathieu Blondel

10/7/2004 3:34:00 PM

Hi all,

I would like to know if CMS programmed in Ruby exist ?

Regards,
MB
7 Answers

Florian Weber

On Oct 7, 2004, at 17:34 Uhr, Mathieu Blondel wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to know if CMS programmed in Ruby exist ?

i just finished one. it's done with rails. it might take a while until
i release it to the public though..

khaines

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 00:34:46 +0900, Mathieu Blondel wrote
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to know if CMS programmed in Ruby exist ?

They exist. They may not be publically released, but they exist.

I have one. I have a bunch of legacy users who are on an old one written in
Perl. I have been converting it to Ruby with IOWA so that I could add new
features and generally make it better. It's not really something I plan to
release, though, in part because the conversion is only 1/2 done. Parts in
still Perl, and in part because even though it is in Ruby on a good
framework, it's still just a conversion and enhancement on a system that
won't win any awards for beauty or elegance.

Paul Vudmaska (paul, are you still lurking?) has a nice looking system that
he created for a bunch of his clients. It's done directly with
mod_ruby/eruby without the benefit of any other framework. That one is, or
was, publically available at some version. If Paul isn't listening, I'll
see if I can find out what the state of that is and report back.

Kirk Haines

Mathieu Blondel

> They exist. They may not be publically released, but they exist.

In fact, I would prefer to see public ones :)

> Paul Vudmaska (paul, are you still lurking?) has a nice looking system that
> he created for a bunch of his clients. It's done directly with
> mod_ruby/eruby without the benefit of any other framework. That one is, or
> was, publically available at some version. If Paul isn't listening, I'll
> see if I can find out what the state of that is and report back.

I may end up to do a CMS for my site and in this case I would release it
publically.

I think I wouldn't use big frameworks either.

Some features I need would be :
- XML based structures content
- Good metadata system
- Roles and rights (abouts users and files)
- i18n
- workflows
- versionning
- groupware

gabriele renzi

Florian Weber ha scritto:

> i just finished one. it's done with rails. it might take a while until
> i release it to the public though..

release early release often!
Ju7st make it really clear is alpha quality ;)

Eric Hodel

On Oct 7, 2004, at 10:04 AM, Mathieu Blondel wrote:

> > They exist. They may not be publically released, but they exist.

ZenWeb - http://zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/ZenWeb/...

Long in existence.

> In fact, I would prefer to see public ones :)
>
>> Paul Vudmaska (paul, are you still lurking?) has a nice looking
>> system that he created for a bunch of his clients. It's done
>> directly with mod_ruby/eruby without the benefit of any other
>> framework. That one is, or was, publically available at some
>> version. If Paul isn't listening, I'll see if I can find out what
>> the state of that is and report back.
>
> I may end up to do a CMS for my site and in this case I would release
> it publically.
>
> I think I wouldn't use big frameworks either.
>
> Some features I need would be :
> - XML based structures content

You really don't want this. Really.

ZenWeb works with plain text files with simple markup, much easier to
edit.

> - Good metadata system

ZenWeb has an awesome hierarchical metadata system. Truly, truly
awesome. (Truly.)

> - Roles and rights (abouts users and files)

Since ZenWeb is based on files, you can control this at the FS level.

> - i18n

Tricky, but possible with the nifty renderers ZenWeb has.

> - workflows

Not built-in.

> - versionning

CVS.

> - groupware

What does this mean?

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://se...
All messages signed with fingerprint:

Mathieu Blondel

>> - Roles and rights (abouts users and files)
>

> Since ZenWeb is based on files, you can control this at the FS level.

Not great if you have thousand of users...

>> - groupware
>

> What does this mean?

forums, calendars, notes, tasks to allow people to work together

Curne) Simon Conrad-Armes

On Oct 9, 2004, at 3:24 AM, Eric Hodel wrote:

> On Oct 7, 2004, at 10:04 AM, Mathieu Blondel wrote:
>
>> > They exist. They may not be publically released, but they exist.
>
> ZenWeb - http://zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/ZenWeb/...
>
> Long in existence.
>
>> In fact, I would prefer to see public ones :)
>>
>>> Paul Vudmaska (paul, are you still lurking?) has a nice looking
>>> system that he created for a bunch of his clients. It's done
>>> directly with mod_ruby/eruby without the benefit of any other
>>> framework. That one is, or was, publically available at some
>>> version. If Paul isn't listening, I'll see if I can find out what
>>> the state of that is and report back.
>>
>> I may end up to do a CMS for my site and in this case I would release
>> it publically.
>>
>> I think I wouldn't use big frameworks either.
>>
>> Some features I need would be :
>> - XML based structures content
>
> You really don't want this. Really.

That's a tad arrogant, isn't it? If poster needs XML structured
content, that is what he needs. I too would consider it requirement of
a good CMS to have a good understanding of XML and namespaces.

> ZenWeb works with plain text files with simple markup, much easier to
> edit.

Depends on what tools you are using.

>> - Good metadata system
>
> ZenWeb has an awesome hierarchical metadata system. Truly, truly
> awesome. (Truly.)
>
>> - Roles and rights (abouts users and files)
>
> Since ZenWeb is based on files, you can control this at the FS level.

This is far too impractical for large numbers of files. You would end
up implementing chmod interface for it anyhow and it would be hell to
track and display nicely.

>> - i18n
>
> Tricky, but possible with the nifty renderers ZenWeb has.
>
>> - workflows
>
> Not built-in.
>
>> - versionning
>
> CVS.
>
>> - groupware
>
> What does this mean?

Personally I think Bricollage (written in perl, http://bri...)
has a nice feature set. If something like it existed in Ruby I would
certainly use it.

/Curne