How to determine supported connectionpoints for WIN32OLE object?

Will Gwaltney

10/7/2004 12:14:00 PM

Hello all,

I'm using WIN32OLE_EVENT to set up some event handlers on various DHTML
elements in Internet Explorer, and I'm having a bit of trouble identifying
the right event connectionpoints to use. The Microsoft online documentation
is less than helpful; they claim that you can use the HTMLElementEvents2
interface on most all the HTML elements you care about, but I'm getting the
following when I try:

interface not found
HRESULT error code:0x80004002
No such interface supported

Here's a code skeleton that outlines what I'm trying to do:

---------------- (snip) -----------------------

require 'win32ole'

ie = WIN32OLE.new('InternetExplorer.Application')

.
.
.
insert code to display a web page here...
.
.
.

elements = ie.document.all
elements.each do |element|
ev = WIN32OLE_EVENT.new(element, 'HTMLElementEvents2')
.
.
.
assign event handlers here
.
.
.
end

---------------- (snip) -----------------------

And here's the URL for the Microsoft documentation that makes the claims
about the HTMLElementEvents2 interface:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/browser/mshtml/tutorial...

What am I missing? Do I have to somehow massage the element into a
different object that will handle the HTMLElementEvents2 interface? Or
should I be using another interface entirely? (BTW, is there any way in
WIN32OLE to figure out which interfaces an object supports?)

Any help will be much appreciated!

Will Gwaltney
SAS Institute