Re: OT -RE: HTML email

Peña, Botp

10/7/2004 6:07:00 AM

Markus [mailto:markus@reality.com] wrote:
> > > Can anyone else verify this? Are my messages actually
> > > distorted on the other
> > > end?
> >
> > you are indeed sending plain text mail but your font
> appears as arial.
> > Arial appears small as compared to the usual courier or courier new
> > font rendered for text mails (as far as my windows gui client is
> > concern though :-). My advice is to use a fix-width font
> (like courier
> > new) and _not_ a proportional font (like arial).
>
> Plain text does not specify the font (by definition).
> It's just the text. I suspect the people who are having
> problems reading his mail are having trouble with UTF-8, as
> was previously suggested, or something along those lines.

You are right. I made an ill-advice on font rendering. I'm using msoutlook
client and it (by default) automatically renders text differently according
to the encoding. Eg, your reply and transami have utf-8 flagged, while gavin
has latin iso. Me usually use westeurn iso w/c does not differ w gavin's
when rendered. I think it's a mailclient fault here. I've force my outlook
to use courier new, and it still renders utf-8 as arial :-(

> -- Markus
>
> P.S. Are any other poster's messages similarly difficult to read?

not difficult, just different :-) As I said, arial looks smaller specially
in some gui env. I'm replying using us-ascii and see if it gets
smaller/bigger -weird :-)

kind regards -botp