OT -RE: HTML email

Peña, Botp

10/7/2004 1:23:00 AM

trans. (T. Onoma) [mailto:transami@runbox.com] wrote:

> Can anyone else verify this? Are my messages actually
> distorted on the other
> end?

you are indeed sending plain text mail but your font appears as arial. Arial
appears small as compared to the usual courier or courier new font rendered
for text mails (as far as my windows gui client is concern though :-). My
advice is to use a fix-width font (like courier new) and _not_ a

kind regards -botp

4 Answers

Markus

On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 18:22, "Peña, Botp" wrote:
> trans. (T. Onoma) [mailto:transami@runbox.com] wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone else verify this? Are my messages actually
> > distorted on the other
> > end?
>
> you are indeed sending plain text mail but your font appears as arial. Arial
> appears small as compared to the usual courier or courier new font rendered
> for text mails (as far as my windows gui client is concern though :-). My
> advice is to use a fix-width font (like courier new) and _not_ a

Plain text does not specify the font (by definition). It's just
the text. I suspect the people who are having problems reading his mail
are having trouble with UTF-8, as was previously suggested, or something
along those lines.

-- Markus

P.S. Are any other poster's messages similarly difficult to read?

Gavin Sinclair

On Thursday, October 7, 2004, 1:54:31 PM, Markus wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 18:22, "Peña, Botp" wrote:
>> trans. (T. Onoma) [mailto:transami@runbox.com] wrote:
>> >
>> > Can anyone else verify this? Are my messages actually
>> > distorted on the other
>> > end?
>>
>> you are indeed sending plain text mail but your font appears as arial. Arial
>> appears small as compared to the usual courier or courier new font rendered
>> for text mails (as far as my windows gui client is concern though :-). My
>> advice is to use a fix-width font (like courier new) and _not_ a

> Plain text does not specify the font (by definition). It's just
> the text. I suspect the people who are having problems reading his mail
> are having trouble with UTF-8, as was previously suggested, or something
> along those lines.

> -- Markus

> P.S. Are any other poster's messages similarly difficult to read?

Any responses to T. Onoma's are, like yours above :)

I haven't found anything in my mailer ("The Bat!") that maps charsets
to fonts :(

Gavin

Gavin Sinclair

On Thursday, October 7, 2004, 2:00:56 PM, Gavin wrote:

> On Thursday, October 7, 2004, 1:54:31 PM, Markus wrote:

>>> you are indeed sending plain text mail but your font appears as arial. Arial
>>> appears small as compared to the usual courier or courier new font rendered
>>> for text mails (as far as my windows gui client is concern though :-). My
>>> advice is to use a fix-width font (like courier new) and _not_ a

>> Plain text does not specify the font (by definition). It's just
>> the text. I suspect the people who are having problems reading his mail
>> are having trouble with UTF-8, as was previously suggested, or something
>> along those lines.

>> -- Markus

>> P.S. Are any other poster's messages similarly difficult to read?

> Any responses to T. Onoma's are, like yours above :)

But not my response. Which is kind of unusual.

Sorry for creating all this off-topic fuss. In my defense, it seems
I'm not the only one with this affliction.

Gavin

Elias Athanasopoulos

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 01:00:56PM +0900, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> Any responses to T. Onoma's are, like yours above :)
>
> I haven't found anything in my mailer ("The Bat!") that maps charsets
> to fonts :(

It is a problem at your end. If the mail leaves his client with
mime-type text/plain, then it's a plain text.

Now if you see it differenetly it's because your client wants
to treat it differently. Take a console based e-mail client and
all plain-text e-mails will be displayed in exactly the same
way: using the font of your terminal.

Regards,
--
University of Athens I bet the human brain
Physics Department is a kludge --Marvin Minsky