The unending joy of compiling ruby-postgres under Mac OS X

Thomas Yager-Madden

10/6/2004 8:46:00 PM

Seems like I've been here before; now I'm enjoying it with upgraded
versions of everything.

Under OS X.3.5, have compiled and built Ruby 1.8.1 and PostgreSQL
7.4.5, and both are working fine.

Based on previous experience, executed ranlib against pgsql library
archive libpq.a before attempting to compile ruby-postgres extension.
Appeared to have success with extconf.rb, make, and install of
ruby-postgres, which all ran without error or complaint.

Any attempt to run Ruby code with `require "postgres"` however, returns
error "dyld: ruby Undefined symbols:" and complete list of all symbols
in libpq.

Any suggestions or reports from anybody who got this working in similar
environment much appreciated.
Thanks,
Thomas Yager-Madden
http://syntac...

5 Answers

Ara.T.Howard

Thomas Yager-Madden

Ara,

Bless you, that was just the ticket. All is joyous and
ruby-postgresquelish now.

- Thomas

T. Onoma

On Wednesday 06 October 2004 05:49 pm, Thomas Yager-Madden wrote:
| Ara,
|
| Bless you, that was just the ticket. All is joyous and
| ruby-postgresquelish now.
|
| - Thomas

Thomas, I have a rubygem for Ruby-Postgres. Works fine for Linux, but I have
never been able to try for Mac. Mr. David Heinemeier Hansson was very
interested in this, but never got back to me on whether it worked or not.
With your new found "ticket" would you mind taking a look and seeing if you
could get it working. That would make a lot of folks happy me thinks.

T.

Thomas Yager-Madden

On 2004-10-06 17:29:50 -0500, "trans. (T. Onoma)" <transami@runbox.com> said:

> Thomas, I have a rubygem for Ruby-Postgres. Works fine for Linux, but I
> have never been able to try for Mac. Mr. David Heinemeier Hansson was
> very interested in this, but never got back to me on whether it worked
> or not. With your new found "ticket" would you mind taking a look and
> seeing if you could get it working. That would make a lot of folks
> happy me thinks.

T.-

Since I'm just trying stuff out here for the most part, I'd be happy to
take your package for a spin, but I'll need a little more information
how to get it. I just tried a regular "gem install ruby-postgres" and
got result " Could not find ruby-postgres (> 0) in the repository"

So, if you can get me pointed the right way, I'll see what I can do.
Meanwhile, I have Ruby-DBI w/ pg-dbd working now, as well as
ruby-postgres, so I'm a lot happier than I was this morning.

Two weird compile difficulties solved in one day. This is a great newsgroup :)

- Thomas

T. Onoma

On Wednesday 06 October 2004 10:04 pm, Thomas wrote:
| Since I'm just trying stuff out here for the most part, I'd be happy to
| take your package for a spin, but I'll need a little more information
| how to get it. I just tried a regular "gem install ruby-postgres" and
| got result " Could not find ruby-postgres (> 0) in the repository"
|
| So, if you can get me pointed the right way, I'll see what I can do.
| Meanwhile, I have Ruby-DBI w/ pg-dbd working now, as well as
| ruby-postgres, so I'm a lot happier than I was this morning.

No problem. I have it. I will send it to you with instructions. Just give me a
few days as I am pretty busy at the moment. If you get a moment though, and
haven't already done so, you may want to read up on how to build a Gem --it's
pretty straightforward actually.

Thanks!
T.