Ruby Popularity in Google Fights

T. Onoma

10/6/2004 8:33:00 PM

Thought I'd try some google fights to see where Ruby stands.

http://www.google...

Here you go:

C Programming 9 450 000
PHP Programming 7 380 000
Java Programming 6 560 000
Perl Programming 4 310 000
VB Programming 3 249 000
Python Programming 2 360 000
Lisp Scheme Programming 2 060 000
Forth Programming 1 260 000
Pascal Programming 973 000
Ada Programming 616 000
**Ruby Programming** 607 000
Prolog Programming 291 000
Haskell Programming 168 000
Eiffel Programming 114 000
Lua Programming 34 700
OCaml Programming 32 300

T.

--
( o _ ���
// trans.

I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.
-Mark Twain

8 Answers

Brian McCallister

The key to search for, though, is "Best Programming Language" ;-)

-Brian

On Oct 6, 2004, at 4:32 PM, trans. (T. Onoma) wrote:

> Thought I'd try some google fights to see where Ruby stands.
>
> http://www.google...
>
> Here you go:
>
> C Programming 9 450 000
> PHP Programming 7 380 000
> Java Programming 6 560 000
> Perl Programming 4 310 000
> VB Programming 3 249 000
> Python Programming 2 360 000
> Lisp Scheme Programming 2 060 000
> Forth Programming 1 260 000
> Pascal Programming 973 000
> Ada Programming 616 000
> **Ruby Programming** 607 000
> Prolog Programming 291 000
> Haskell Programming 168 000
> Eiffel Programming 114 000
> Lua Programming 34 700
> OCaml Programming 32 300
>
> T.
>
> --
> ( o _ ???
> // trans.
> / \ transami@runbox.com
>
> I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.
> -Mark Twain

Dick Davies

* trans. (T. Onoma) <transami@runbox.com> [1032 21:32]:
> Thought I'd try some google fights to see where Ruby stands.
>
> http://www.google...

we get whipped by Ada????

> Here you go:

> Ada Programming 616 000
> **Ruby Programming** 607 000

If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall
like a house of cards... Checkmate! - Zapp. Brannigan

gabriele renzi

Dick Davies ha scritto:

> we get whipped by Ada????

well, many historical stuff related to ada lovelace I guess :)

David Ross

Ada is also a good language. there are updates for gcc 3.x and I'm not
talkig about that old software GNAT3.14, thats *old*. Yes, we get
whooped by the great ada. Professional programmers still use it. Also, I
hear around that some people are getting forced to use it in college.
--dross

Dick Davies wrote:

>* trans. (T. Onoma) <transami@runbox.com> [1032 21:32]:
>

>>Thought I'd try some google fights to see where Ruby stands.
>>
>> http://www.google...
>>

>we get whipped by Ada????
>

>>Here you go:

>> Ada Programming 616 000
>> **Ruby Programming** 607 000

Joey Gibson

David Ross wrote:

> Ada is also a good language. there are updates for gcc 3.x and I'm not
> talkig about that old software GNAT3.14, thats *old*. Yes, we get
> whooped by the great ada. Professional programmers still use it. Also,
> I hear around that some people are getting forced to use it in
> college. --dross

I was forced to use it in college, but that was 12 years ago... It
actually wasn't that bad. I certainly liked it better than Pascal...

--
She drove a Plymouth Satellite
Faster than the Speed of Light...

http://www.joeygibso...
http://www.joeygibso.../life/Wisdom.html
Atlanta Ruby User Group http://www....

David Ross

Joey Gibson wrote:

> David Ross wrote:
>
>> Ada is also a good language. there are updates for gcc 3.x and I'm
>> not talkig about that old software GNAT3.14, thats *old*. Yes, we get
>> whooped by the great ada. Professional programmers still use it.
>> Also, I hear around that some people are getting forced to use it in
>> college. --dross
>

> I was forced to use it in college, but that was 12 years ago... It
> actually wasn't that bad. I certainly liked it better than Pascal...

Its really good compared to some of the languages out there. I still
like C and Ruby best. Ada95 is just fun ;) There is a Ada2005 in the
process of beign made/release.

--dross

marathoner

You may be interested in this page:
http://www.tiobe.co...

I wonder when Ruby can make top 20.

Lei

"trans. (T. Onoma)" <transami@runbox.com> wrote in message news:<200410061632.33570.transami@runbox.com>...
> Thought I'd try some google fights to see where Ruby stands.
>
> http://www.google...
>
> Here you go:
>
> C Programming 9 450 000
> PHP Programming 7 380 000
> Java Programming 6 560 000
> Perl Programming 4 310 000
> VB Programming 3 249 000
> Python Programming 2 360 000
> Lisp Scheme Programming 2 060 000
> Forth Programming 1 260 000
> Pascal Programming 973 000
> Ada Programming 616 000
> **Ruby Programming** 607 000
> Prolog Programming 291 000
> Haskell Programming 168 000
> Eiffel Programming 114 000
> Lua Programming 34 700
> OCaml Programming 32 300
>
> T.

Dick Davies

* gabriele renzi <rff_rff@remove-yahoo.it> [1040 11:40]:
> Dick Davies ha scritto:
>
> >we get whipped by Ada????
> >

> well, many historical stuff related to ada lovelace I guess :)

Including the whipping, if the stories are true :)

--
One cannot make an omelette without breaking eggs -- but it is amazing
how many eggs one can break without making a decent omelette. - Charles P. Issawi