package management for plug-ins

Its Me

10/6/2004 6:01:00 PM

Have either gems or ra been designed with an eye on dynamically dealing with
plug-ins in an application, a'la Acrobat or Photoshop or Firefox, including
dependencies? Install, Enable, Disable, Uninstall, Update seem like needed
operations on a plug-in.

Thanks!

3 Answers

vruz

> Have either gems or ra been designed with an eye on dynamically dealing with
> plug-ins in an application, a'la Acrobat or Photoshop or Firefox, including
> dependencies? Install, Enable, Disable, Uninstall, Update seem like needed
> operations on a plug-in.

Rubygems:
http://rubygems.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Quick_In...

RPA:
http://rpa-base.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.cgi?Rp...

--
--- vruz

Curt Hibbs

Its Me wrote:

> Have either gems or ra been designed with an eye on dynamically
> dealing with
> plug-ins in an application, a'la Acrobat or Photoshop or Firefox,
> including
> dependencies? Install, Enable, Disable, Uninstall, Update seem like needed
> operations on a plug-in.

FreeRIDE's plugin system, FreeBASE, is going to be rewritten to use
RubyGems.

When we first started FreeRIDE, we had planned to use the original RubyGems,
but it wasn't far enough along, so we had to roll our own format. Now that
we have an emerging packaging standard, we want FreeRIDE to use that.

Curt

David Ross

Just make sure its compatible enough to patch for RPA ;)

--dross