ri and extensions

Brian Candler

10/6/2004 10:40:00 AM

I have ruby-1.8.2p2 installed, and as I'm trying to wean myself off grepping
through the Pickaxe V1 whenever I want to find information, I'm trying to
convert to using 'ri'

However, it seems that nothing from the ext/ subdirectories of Ruby has made
it into my ri collection:

$ ri Zlib
Nothing known about Zlib
$ ri Iconv
Nothing known about Iconv

even though grepping the source seems to show that three ext modules have
been marked up for rdoc:

ext/iconv/iconv.c: * call-seq: Iconv.new(to, from)
ext/strscan/strscan.c: * call-seq: StringScanner.new(string, dup = false)
ext/zlib/zlib.c: * call-seq: Zlib.adler32(string, adler)

Is this a bug in the configure/install process?

However, given that the rest of the ext/ directories have not been marked
up, especially ext/socket, then it looks like I will be grepping Pickaxe V1
for some time to come anyway :-)

Regards,

Brian.

2 Answers

Dave Thomas

On Oct 6, 2004, at 5:40, Brian Candler wrote:
> However, it seems that nothing from the ext/ subdirectories of Ruby
> has made
> it into my ri collection:

> $ ri Zlib
> Nothing known about Zlib
> $ ri Iconv
> Nothing known about Iconv

Whoever marked them up probably forgot to add their names to the
document file, so they weren't included.

Cheers

Dave

Brian Candler

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 09:17:51PM +0900, Dave Thomas wrote:
> >However, it seems that nothing from the ext/ subdirectories of Ruby
> >has made
> >it into my ri collection:
>

> >$ ri Zlib
> >Nothing known about Zlib
> >$ ri Iconv
> >Nothing known about Iconv
>
> Whoever marked them up probably forgot to add their names to the
> .document file, so they weren't included.

$ find . -name '*.document'
/.document
/lib/.document
/lib/cgi/.document
$

OK. I've stuck what I think are the necessary files into the attached
tarball. Do they look right to you? If so perhaps they can be committed.

Cheers,

Brian.