[ANN] TextMate 1.0 (with Ruby and Rails syntax highlighting

David Heinemeier Hansson

10/6/2004 2:05:00 AM

Everyone who attended RubyConf '04 already got a sneak peak at this,
but now it's finally here for the mere mortals as well. We've released
TextMate 1.0. It's a code and markup editor for OS X that ships with
syntax highlighting and other goodies for Ruby (and Rails).

Many thanks to all the folks at RubyConf that offered suggestions.
Especially thanks to Rich Killmer who hacked a bit on the syntax
highlighting file and got interpolated strings and regexps to look even
nicer. He was also the first to buy a license and hereby test the
infrastructure. Thanks a bunch, mate!

TextMate: http://macro...
--
David Heinemeier Hansson,
http://www.rubyon... -- Web-application framework for Ruby

3 Answers

James Gray

On Oct 5, 2004, at 9:05 PM, David Heinemeier Hansson wrote:

> Everyone who attended RubyConf '04 already got a sneak peak at this,
> but now it's finally here for the mere mortals as well. We've released
> TextMate 1.0. It's a code and markup editor for OS X that ships with
> syntax highlighting and other goodies for Ruby (and Rails).

I'll confess that I'm a die hard BBEdit user and it would take a LOT to
make me switch, but...

I did download your application and poked around a little. I was quite
surprised. You have some very attractive features in there and a lot
of them especially for a 1.0 release. Folding and the auto-complete
were both very attractive to me. My compliments. I'll keep an eye on
this editor...

James Edward Gray II

Joe Cheng

David Heinemeier Hansson wrote:
> Especially thanks to Rich Killmer who hacked a bit on the syntax
> highlighting file and got interpolated strings and regexps to look even
> nicer.

So that's what that regex thread was all about! ;)

Congrats on what looks like a pretty slick product. I'd bite if I had a
Mac.

lucsky

James Edward Gray II <james@grayproductions.net> wrote:

> I'll confess that I'm a die hard BBEdit user and it would take a LOT to
> make me switch, but...

I had high expectations for TextMate (partly due to David's over-hyping
machine :p) and as expected, I am *seriously* disapointed by this 1.0.
Yeah, it's a 1.0, but it absolutely does *not* live up the hype. It has
some great potential however, and would it be opensource that I'd
already be hacking it all over the place. But it's not, so all I can do
is send my rants to Allan and David and pay the registration fee to
support their work.

--
Luc Heinrich - lucsky@mac.com