Specifying DSN to OdbcConnection object to access SearchServer V4 data (aka Fulcrum from HummingBird)-to newsgroup

Paul Lyu

4/29/2002 5:11:00 PM

Hello,

I downloaded the ODBC.NET RTM driver from Microsoft to be able to access a
data collection whose data-manager is ODBC compliant.
What you specify in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/ODBC are 3 directory
locations where the data-manager must use when creating and searching for
data.

With a lot of pain I found out that, in order for the OdbcConnection.Open()
method to work, the same directory information must ALSO be defined in
terms of environment variable in addtion to them being defined under
"Control Panel/Administrative Tools/ODBC ".

This does not make it possible for your program to change to ODBC DSN by
providing different DSN name at runtime since OdbcConnection seems to work
with the values of environment variable values.

Could I have found out about this through some ODBC.NET documentation or is
this standard knowledge?

1 Answer

(Hussein Abuthuraya(MSFT))