Steve C. Orr, MCSD

1/22/2007 7:43:00 PM

How about using the ModalPopup control?
http://ajax.asp.net/ajaxtoolkit/ModalPopup/Modal...
It's open source in case you need to customize it.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr,

"Bhupendra" <Bhupendra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I want to create a control which is modal. Much like MessageBox control.
>
> I don't know how to make a control modal.
>
> I am creating the control derived from Systems.Windows.Forms.UserControl
> class.
>
> Please can you help me?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Bhupendra

4 Answers

Thomas Hansen

Steve C. Orr [MCSD, MVP, CSM, ASP Insider] wrote:
> How about using the ModalPopup control?
> http://ajax.asp.net/ajaxtoolkit/ModalPopup/Modal...
> It's open source in case you need to customize it.

Or the Gaia Ajax Widget library and the "Window" control there...
Check out:
http://ajaxwidgets.com/samples/...

(Type "a" into the text box, choose a person and press "Show Button")
Application is within an IFrame though so it looks a bit "funny".
Gaia Ajax Widgets is free as in free beer, though no Open Source
follows...

..t

ChicagoDave

On Dec 19, 10:43 am, Martin Read <mpr...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
wrote:
> ChicagoDave <david.cornel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >I think MS has gone out of their way to make Silverlight work on OS X,
> >Windows, FireFox, Safari, IE, and Chrome. The fact that they're even
> >thinking about making it work on Linux with mono and Moonlight should
> >dispel any crazy conspiracy theories.
>
> On the contrary, it's prime fodder for most conspiracy theorists.
>
> If Microsoft offer you a gift, start looking for the patent encumbrances
> and subtle incompatiblities.

I would have agreed a few years ago. It seems nowadays MS is bending
over backwards to please everyone that will listen to them, which to
their horror is a gradually smaller audience.

David C.

ChicagoDave

On Dec 19, 4:36 pm, Otto Grimwald
<contact_is_on_webs...@anamnese.fr.st> wrote:
> In addition, the mono implementation will always
> lag far behind the microsoft one.

Silverlight 2.0 was released at PDC in October.

Moonlight 2.0 will be released within 4-5 months of that date.

Doesn't seem like a huge lag to me. Since the desktop Linux
marketshare is fairly small, I'd say this is a fairly impressive
achievement.

In any case, using C# via the .NET Framework and Mono is a cost-
efficient methodology. Looking for cross-platform C++ developers to
work on back-ended contracts for text games would simply be
impossible. You have to understand what I'm trying to accomplish and
take that into the context of the resulting product and its available
platforms. In this case, Tenteo offered to help by building a UI in
Silverlight. What was I supposed to do, turn them down? Even if I held
some personal disdain for Microsoft, as a businessman, I'd be an idiot
to turn away from any viable solution.

But the decision to use Silverlight was a good one in all cases. If
one of my target markets is middle schools, then Silverlight might be
a great solution. I can provide access to an entire school system
without any major installations. We can either host it externally or
we can drop a server in the school system that hosts our games and
then it's just a matter of having the SL plug-in installed on all
desktops, no different than Flash is installed. A hosted system also
provides us the ability to implement market-testing and product-
testing without installation issues. Of course Flash would have
potnetially done the same, but I simply couldn't find anyone that
understood the complexities of marrying a VM to a flash front-end. I
could only find the people that knew how to make animations and
websites. That's not good enough for what the things I envision for
Textfyre games.

Of course if you're hell bent on avoiding MS technologies, there's
nothing I can do about that except make such a cool game that you
decide to hold your nose and install Silverlight or Moonlight
_anyway_.

David C.

Nikos Chantziaras

ChicagoDave wrote:
> In any case, using C# via the .NET Framework and Mono is a cost-
> efficient methodology. Looking for cross-platform C++ developers to
> work on back-ended contracts for text games would simply be
> impossible.

Will the source of this be available? (Or is it already?) I don't mean
an Open Source license, just the source under whatever license so
"someone" can port it.