comp.programming.threads

About Strongly Typed programming languages

Ramine

12/27/2015 12:51:00 AM

Hello,

Please read the following:

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?Str...

You will notice that they are people who call C and C++ strongly typed
programming languages and they are people who call C weakly typed
programming languages..

So how can we be sure if C and C++ are strongly typed or weakly typed ?

Here is my answer:

First we have to define the characteristics and advantages of strongly
typed programming languages, that they discipline us to avoid
programming bugs and errors of logic...that's i think the most important
characteristic of a strongly typed programming language... so
if you look at C++ it has inherited the C deficiencies that allow
C++ and C to make an implicit conversion from an signed long to
a unsigned long and that allow C and C++ to assign two typedefs of
the same type etc.. this deficiencies are considered in my opinion
like a single point of failure in the system, that means this
deficiencies can make your system behave like a weakly typed system
and it will make it inherit the characteristic that are difficiencies of
the weakly typed programming languages.. so in my opinion since it is
like a single point of failure so that makes C and C++ weakly
typed programming languages that are not suitable for realtime
safety critical systems.

Thank you,
Amine Moulay Ramdane.