comp.programming.threads

Read this about scalability

Ramine

11/17/2015 1:12:00 AM

Hello,

As you have noticed i have implemented a Threadpool engine
that is really cool, its interface is very easy and cool, read about it
here:

https://sites.google.com/site/aminer68/...-with-...

But if you are an expert on parallel programming, you will notice
that i am using 3 locks that protect a very small portion of the code on
the worker threads side of the Threadpool engine, 2 locks for the pop()
side of the concurrent FIFO queue and i am using a third lock also, so
an expert on parallel programming will say that those locks that protect
a very small portion of the code are using each one around
350 CPU cycles on a x86 architecture, so this will lower the
scalability, but my answer is this: look at the fastflow
for example here: http://calvados.di...
if you need on fastflow to wait for the worker threads to
finish this will constitute the same portion of a serial
part of one lock, because a cache-line transfer is around
the same CPU cycles of a Lock, so this will constitute
a serial part of around 350 CPU cycles on x86, and this
will have the same effect as my Threadpool engine,
i think OpenMP and TBB and microsoft TPL are the same..
so this is why i think my Threadpool engine is still useful, so the idea
to scale more is to increase the P (parallel) part by doing more of the
same: Increase the volume of data processed by the P part (and therefore
the percentage p of time spent in computing) , this will permit you to
get more scalability. This is Gustafson's Law.

You can download my Threadpool engine from the following links:

https://sites.google.com/site/aminer68/...-with-...

and from here:

https://sites.google.com/site/aminer68/...

Thank you,
Amine Moulay Ramdane.

10 Answers

Alfred Kaufmann

Yes I try to keep everything up to date.

Okay, here are my specs:

ASUS M2N32-SLI motherboard, AMD 64 X2 6000+ cpu, 2GB DDR2 PC2-8500
memory, EVGA 8800 GTS video card with NVidia driver 163.69 installed
and the sound is built in on the motherboard also with the latest
driver 6.10.2.6260 from SoundMax installed. The operating system is
Vista 64 bit with all the updates installed and the windows experience
index is 5.5. Halo 2 should run on this system.

The Halo 2 program is able to play music when starting and stopping so
I am really surprised to have no sound during game play. If I turn on
sub-titles, that does work. :-(

My speaker are hooked up via an optical connection so I am going try
analog and see if I can get better results.

Al

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 10:48:19 -0600, "RiverDog" <riverdog@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>Al, I am assuming that you have regularly updated Vista, including your
>graphics and sound drivers? There have been a number of updates that have
>been very helpful. Also, I have a Vista 64 bit system as well and I am not
>having those problems with Halo 2. Posting your specs may be helpful to
>others wishing to help you.
>
>RiverDog
>

>"Alfred Kaufmann" <al_kaufmann@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Early this year after I upgraded to Vista 64 bit, I downloaded a Halo
>> 2 demo, installed it and it worked fine. So decided to buy Halo 2 and
>> after installing it, it ran into a sound problem. When I start the
>> game I hear music and when I shut down the game I hear music but no
>> sounds other than that. I decided to wait a few months because Vista
>> was new and maybe a new sound driver would solve my problem.
>>
>> I have long since had a sound driver update as well as many other
>> updates and still this (*&^%$ Halo 2 thing has no sound other than
>> when starting and exiting. I have looked through the settings to see
>> if sound is turned off anywhere and I can't find anything. I don't
>> have a problem playing any other game, even my old Unreal Tournament
>> 2004 plays properly with sound.
>>
>> Does anyone have any idea? I really find it strange that the demo
>> worked and the retaill version does not.
>>
>> Al

Alfred Kaufmann

I switched the cables to my speakers from optical to 6ch direct and
and I got sound during the game! I will be able to play the game now
but I really should be able to stick with the optical connection.
Since I hear music when the game starts and stops I am pretty sure it
is a Halo 2 programming problem.

Since they just released Halo 3 I doubt they will be working on any
fixes for Halo 2. :-(

Al

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 10:41:41 -0700, Alfred Kaufmann
<al_kaufmann@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Yes I try to keep everything up to date.
>
>Okay, here are my specs:
>
>ASUS M2N32-SLI motherboard, AMD 64 X2 6000+ cpu, 2GB DDR2 PC2-8500
>memory, EVGA 8800 GTS video card with NVidia driver 163.69 installed
>and the sound is built in on the motherboard also with the latest
>driver 6.10.2.6260 from SoundMax installed. The operating system is
>Vista 64 bit with all the updates installed and the windows experience
>index is 5.5. Halo 2 should run on this system.
>
>The Halo 2 program is able to play music when starting and stopping so
>I am really surprised to have no sound during game play. If I turn on
>sub-titles, that does work. :-(
>
>My speaker are hooked up via an optical connection so I am going try
>analog and see if I can get better results.
>
>Al
>
>On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 10:48:19 -0600, "RiverDog" <riverdog@shaw.ca>
>wrote:
>
>>Al, I am assuming that you have regularly updated Vista, including your
>>graphics and sound drivers? There have been a number of updates that have
>>been very helpful. Also, I have a Vista 64 bit system as well and I am not
>>having those problems with Halo 2. Posting your specs may be helpful to
>>others wishing to help you.
>>
>>RiverDog
>>

>>"Alfred Kaufmann" <al_kaufmann@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Early this year after I upgraded to Vista 64 bit, I downloaded a Halo
>>> 2 demo, installed it and it worked fine. So decided to buy Halo 2 and
>>> after installing it, it ran into a sound problem. When I start the
>>> game I hear music and when I shut down the game I hear music but no
>>> sounds other than that. I decided to wait a few months because Vista
>>> was new and maybe a new sound driver would solve my problem.
>>>
>>> I have long since had a sound driver update as well as many other
>>> updates and still this (*&^%$ Halo 2 thing has no sound other than
>>> when starting and exiting. I have looked through the settings to see
>>> if sound is turned off anywhere and I can't find anything. I don't
>>> have a problem playing any other game, even my old Unreal Tournament
>>> 2004 plays properly with sound.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any idea? I really find it strange that the demo
>>> worked and the retaill version does not.
>>>
>>> Al

tomiosis

"Alfred Kaufmann" wrote:

> I switched the cables to my speakers from optical to 6ch direct and
> and I got sound during the game! I will be able to play the game now
> but I really should be able to stick with the optical connection.
> Since I hear music when the game starts and stops I am pretty sure it
> is a Halo 2 programming problem.
>
> Since they just released Halo 3 I doubt they will be working on any
> fixes for Halo 2. :-(
>
> Al
>

> On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 10:41:41 -0700, Alfred Kaufmann
> <al_kaufmann@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Yes I try to keep everything up to date.
> >
> >Okay, here are my specs:
> >
> >ASUS M2N32-SLI motherboard, AMD 64 X2 6000+ cpu, 2GB DDR2 PC2-8500
> >memory, EVGA 8800 GTS video card with NVidia driver 163.69 installed
> >and the sound is built in on the motherboard also with the latest
> >driver 6.10.2.6260 from SoundMax installed. The operating system is
> >Vista 64 bit with all the updates installed and the windows experience
> >index is 5.5. Halo 2 should run on this system.
> >
> >The Halo 2 program is able to play music when starting and stopping so
> >I am really surprised to have no sound during game play. If I turn on
> >sub-titles, that does work. :-(
> >
> >My speaker are hooked up via an optical connection so I am going try
> >analog and see if I can get better results.
> >
> >Al
> >
> >On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 10:48:19 -0600, "RiverDog" <riverdog@shaw.ca>
> >wrote:
> >
> >>Al, I am assuming that you have regularly updated Vista, including your
> >>graphics and sound drivers? There have been a number of updates that have
> >>been very helpful. Also, I have a Vista 64 bit system as well and I am not
> >>having those problems with Halo 2. Posting your specs may be helpful to
> >>others wishing to help you.
> >>
> >>RiverDog
> >>

> >>"Alfred Kaufmann" <al_kaufmann@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> just out of curiosity...did you remove the demo version completely? If it where me, (and that's not saying much lol) I would completely remove all traces of the game old and new ...run a search for any left over components and then start with a fresh install.

Alfred Kaufmann

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 17:58:01 -0700, tomiosis
<tomiosis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>> just out of curiosity...did you remove the demo version completely? If it where me, (and that's not saying much lol) I would completely remove all traces of the game old and new ...run a search for any left over components and then start with a fresh install.

I sufferred a big power surge a couple of months ago so everything was
installed again on a new hard drive. The Halo 2 demo was not part of
that install.

The game seems to be running, now I just need to find time to play it
and get used to that game controller.

Al

RiverDog

Glad to hear it is working for you, Al. BTW I play with mouse and keyboard
and it works for me!

All the best.

> On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 17:58:01 -0700, tomiosis
> <tomiosis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>> just out of curiosity...did you remove the demo version completely? If
>>> it where me, (and that's not saying much lol) I would completely remove
>>> all traces of the game old and new ...run a search for any left over
>>> components and then start with a fresh install.
>
> I sufferred a big power surge a couple of months ago so everything was
> installed again on a new hard drive. The Halo 2 demo was not part of
> that install.
>
> The game seems to be running, now I just need to find time to play it
> and get used to that game controller.
>
> Al

RiverDog

Glad to hear it is working for you, Al. BTW I play with mouse and keyboard
and it works for me!

All the best.

RiverDog

"Alfred Kaufmann" <al_kaufmann@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 17:58:01 -0700, tomiosis
> <tomiosis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>> just out of curiosity...did you remove the demo version completely? If
>>> it where me, (and that's not saying much lol) I would completely remove
>>> all traces of the game old and new ...run a search for any left over
>>> components and then start with a fresh install.
>
> I sufferred a big power surge a couple of months ago so everything was
> installed again on a new hard drive. The Halo 2 demo was not part of
> that install.
>
> The game seems to be running, now I just need to find time to play it
> and get used to that game controller.
>
> Al

Andy [Ex-MSFT]

>I switched the cables to my speakers from optical to 6ch direct and
> and I got sound during the game! I will be able to play the game now
> but I really should be able to stick with the optical connection.
> Since I hear music when the game starts and stops I am pretty sure it
> is a Halo 2 programming problem.
>
> Since they just released Halo 3 I doubt they will be working on any
> fixes for Halo 2. :-(

Actually Bungie doesn't do the PC version of Halo, they outsource porting
duties to other groups. I'm not sure, but didn't Gearbox do Halo 1 PC?
Forget who did Halo 2.

Andy [Ex-MSFT]

"RiverDog" <riverdog@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Glad to hear it is working for you, Al. BTW I play with mouse and keyboard
> and it works for me!
>
> All the best.
>
> RiverDog
>
> "Alfred Kaufmann" <al_kaufmann@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> I sufferred a big power surge a couple of months ago so everything was
>> installed again on a new hard drive. The Halo 2 demo was not part of
>> that install.
>>
>> The game seems to be running, now I just need to find time to play it
>> and get used to that game controller.
>>
>> Al

Ahhh CONSOLE USER IN THE HOUSE!

Dude, throw that controller out the window. :) AWSD + Mouse = Bliss

I admit the 360 controller is pretty nice (cough, logitech design), but if a
console can use a mouse/keyboard, i will use it. :)

Alfred Kaufmann

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 08:12:13 -0600, "RiverDog" <riverdog@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>Glad to hear it is working for you, Al. BTW I play with mouse and keyboard
>and it works for me!
>
>All the best.
>
>RiverDog

I usually use the mouse and keyboard too for my games but it seems
Halo 2 is designed for this controller. I was really surprised by
the vibration feedback and I like that but think I may be too used to
using the mouse and keyboard.

Al

Alfred Kaufmann

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 12:19:48 -0700, "Andy [YaYa]"
<android8675@MAPSONhotmail.com> wrote:

>"RiverDog" <riverdog@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> Glad to hear it is working for you, Al. BTW I play with mouse and keyboard
>> and it works for me!
>>
>> All the best.
>>
>> RiverDog
>>
>> "Alfred Kaufmann" <al_kaufmann@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> I sufferred a big power surge a couple of months ago so everything was
>>> installed again on a new hard drive. The Halo 2 demo was not part of
>>> that install.
>>>
>>> The game seems to be running, now I just need to find time to play it
>>> and get used to that game controller.
>>>
>>> Al
>
>Ahhh CONSOLE USER IN THE HOUSE!
>
>Dude, throw that controller out the window. :) AWSD + Mouse = Bliss
>
>I admit the 360 controller is pretty nice (cough, logitech design), but if a
>console can use a mouse/keyboard, i will use it. :)

I have tried it several times and given up on it. Maybe I can get my
money for it back on ebay.

Al