Brian Schröder

Ara.T.Howard wrote:

> class EmailList < Array
> #{{{
> [snip]
> #}}}
> end

hello Ara,

Just out of interest, please do not understand this as an offence:
to which end are you using all those #{{{ comments? Is it to make your
editor understand indentation, or what is its purpose?

Regards,

Brian
--
Brian Schröder
http://ruby.brian-sch...

Ara.T.Howard

Anders Engström

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 05:04:52AM +0900, Ara.T.Howard@noaa.gov wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Brian Schröder wrote:
>
> >Ara.T.Howard wrote:
> >
> >>class EmailList < Array
> >>#{{{
> >> [snip]
> >>#}}}
> >>end
> >
> >hello Ara,
> >
> >Just out of interest, please do not understand this as an offence:
> >to which end are you using all those #{{{ comments? Is it to make your
> >editor understand indentation, or what is its purpose?
>
> vim is a folding editor. everything inbetween the markers appear as one
> line
> as something like
>
> +-- 3 lines: >> --------------------------------------------
>
> in otherwords each class in my solution looks, to me, as
>
> class Foo
> +-- n lines: >> ------------
> end
>
> and each method likewise. if you don't use folding i highly reccomend it -
> folds can be cut, pasted, operated on, etc. and, of course, it makes 10,000
> source file a breeze to navigate.

That's neat. Would you care to share the relevant lines from your
vimrc?

Best Regards //Anders

--
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Anders Engström aengstrom@gnejs.net

Brian Schröder

Ara.T.Howard@noaa.gov wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Brian Schr�der wrote:
>
>> Ara.T.Howard wrote:
>>
>>> class EmailList < Array
>>> #{{{
>>> [snip]
>>> #}}}
>>> end
>>

>> hello Ara,
>>
>> Just out of interest, please do not understand this as an offence:
>> to which end are you using all those #{{{ comments? Is it to make your
>> editor understand indentation, or what is its purpose?
>

> vim is a folding editor. everything inbetween the markers appear as one
> line
> as something like
>
> +-- 3 lines: >> --------------------------------------------
>
> in otherwords each class in my solution looks, to me, as
>
> class Foo
> +-- n lines: >> ------------
> end
>
> and each method likewise. if you don't use folding i highly reccomend it -
> folds can be cut, pasted, operated on, etc. and, of course, it makes
> 10,000
> source file a breeze to navigate.
>
> cheers.
>
> -a
>
> | EMAIL :: Ara [dot] T [dot] Howard [at] noaa [dot] gov
> | PHONE :: 303.497.6469
> | A flower falls, even though we love it;
> | and a weed grows, even though we do not love it. | --Dogen
Ahh,

thanks for the pointer. I found the same for xemacs. But I think I
personally like hide-show better. Entering this additional comments seem
like too much work to me.

Regards,

Brian

--
Brian Schröder
http://ruby.brian-sch...

Ara.T.Howard

Ara.T.Howard

Gavin Sinclair

On Tuesday, October 5, 2004, 7:44:53 AM, Ara wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, [UTF-8] Brian Schröder wrote:

>> thanks for the pointer. I found the same for xemacs. But I think I
>> personally like hide-show better. Entering this additional comments seem
>> like too much work to me.

> but then they are lost when you close the file... if they are 'marked' they
> are restored on open.

Isn't it possible to fold based on syntax/indentation, thus getting
automatic Ruby folding without special markers?

Gavin

Ara.T.Howard

Gavin Sinclair

On Tuesday, October 5, 2004, 10:44:51 AM, Ara wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

>>> but then they are lost when you close the file... if they are 'marked' they
>>> are restored on open.
>>
>> Isn't it possible to fold based on syntax/indentation, thus getting
>> automatic Ruby folding without special markers?

> set foldmethod=syntax

> it folds like mad though.

Can you impose limits on the madness?

Gavin