A ruby course

Brian Schröder

10/4/2004 5:18:00 PM

Hello List,

again I ask for your help. I'm going to give a 16 hours course on ruby
this week, and I've created some slides to aid me with this.
I have to admit that some examples might not be as bright as I wish, and
also there are missing some exercises.
I created the slides in english, such that they can be used by a bigger
part of the community if need should be.

The slides will not cover all that I hope to say in the course, when the
slides have finished I will start with a free experimentation phase
based on my ants sample implementation
http://ruby.brian-schroede...

It would be great if some of you could look at the slides and correct
the language and if somebody comes up with a great example or exercise I
would also be glad for comments.

The slides are located at
http://ruby.brian-schroeder....

Regards,

Brian

--
Brian Schröder
http://ruby.brian-sch...

41 Answers

James Gray

On Oct 4, 2004, at 12:17 PM, Brian Schröder wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> again I ask for your help. I'm going to give a 16 hours course on ruby
> this week, and I've created some slides to aid me with this.

The presentation is looking pretty good. One thing I did notice, on
page 19 and 20, the comments do not reflect the code. You talk about
yield, but use a passed block.

Cover slide looks good! ;)

James Edward Gray II

Curt Hibbs

Brian Schröder wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> again I ask for your help. I'm going to give a 16 hours course on ruby
> this week, and I've created some slides to aid me with this.
> I have to admit that some examples might not be as bright as I wish, and
> also there are missing some exercises.
> I created the slides in english, such that they can be used by a bigger
> part of the community if need should be.
>
> The slides will not cover all that I hope to say in the course, when the
> slides have finished I will start with a free experimentation phase
> based on my ants sample implementation
> http://ruby.brian-schroede...
>
> It would be great if some of you could look at the slides and correct
> the language and if somebody comes up with a great example or exercise I
> would also be glad for comments.
>
> The slides are located at
> http://ruby.brian-schroeder....

This is great! Can I add your slides to the WhyRuby? repository
(http://whyruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Ruby_Pre...)?

Curt

STEPHEN BECKER I V

Do you have speaker notes?

If you had 1 to 2 hours to present ruby to a group of people what do
you think would be the most important point to get across? Mind you,
you would need to spend 30- mins on syntax.
Becker

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 02:32:53 +0900, James Edward Gray II
<james@grayproductions.net> wrote:
> On Oct 4, 2004, at 12:17 PM, Brian Schröder wrote:
>
> > Hello List,
> >
> > again I ask for your help. I'm going to give a 16 hours course on ruby
> > this week, and I've created some slides to aid me with this.
>
> The presentation is looking pretty good. One thing I did notice, on
> page 19 and 20, the comments do not reflect the code. You talk about
> yield, but use a passed block.
>
> Cover slide looks good! ;)
>
> James Edward Gray II

STEPHEN BECKER I V

Ruby Quick Start by Michael Neumann
A German language presentation that introduces Ruby. The target
audience is software developers. Format:
[http://www.pureteenz.c... hentai] PDF.

Download at [http://rubyforge.org/docman/view.php/251/94/RubyQuick...
RubyQuickStart?.tgz]

Does anyone have this in english?
Becker

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 02:35:28 +0900, Curt Hibbs <curt@hibbs.com> wrote:

> Brian Schröder wrote:
> >
> > Hello List,
> >
> > again I ask for your help. I'm going to give a 16 hours course on ruby
> > this week, and I've created some slides to aid me with this.
> > I have to admit that some examples might not be as bright as I wish, and
> > also there are missing some exercises.
> > I created the slides in english, such that they can be used by a bigger
> > part of the community if need should be.
> >
> > The slides will not cover all that I hope to say in the course, when the
> > slides have finished I will start with a free experimentation phase
> > based on my ants sample implementation
> > http://ruby.brian-schroede...
> >
> > It would be great if some of you could look at the slides and correct
> > the language and if somebody comes up with a great example or exercise I
> > would also be glad for comments.
> >
> > The slides are located at
> > http://ruby.brian-schroeder....
>
> This is great! Can I add your slides to the WhyRuby? repository
> (http://whyruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Ruby_Pre...)?
>
> Curt

Curt Hibbs

I noticed a couple of typos:

Page 8: if the situation is not ambigue
should be: if the situation is not ambiguos

Page 11: skript
should be: script

Curt

Curt Hibbs wrote:
> Brian Schröder wrote:
> >
> > Hello List,
> >
> > again I ask for your help. I'm going to give a 16 hours course on ruby
> > this week, and I've created some slides to aid me with this.
> > I have to admit that some examples might not be as bright as I wish, and
> > also there are missing some exercises.
> > I created the slides in english, such that they can be used by a bigger
> > part of the community if need should be.
> >
> > The slides will not cover all that I hope to say in the course, when the
> > slides have finished I will start with a free experimentation phase
> > based on my ants sample implementation
> > http://ruby.brian-schroede...
> >
> > It would be great if some of you could look at the slides and correct
> > the language and if somebody comes up with a great example or exercise I
> > would also be glad for comments.
> >
> > The slides are located at
> > http://ruby.brian-schroeder....
>
> This is great! Can I add your slides to the WhyRuby? repository
> (http://whyruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Ruby_Pre...)?
>
> Curt
>

> ---

Curt Hibbs

Curt Hibbs wrote:

> I noticed a couple of typos:
>
> Page 8: if the situation is not ambigue
> should be: if the situation is not ambiguos

Gee... there's a mistake in my correction! :-(

I should have said...
should be: if the situation is not ambiguous

> Page 11: skript
> should be: script
>
> Curt
>
> Curt Hibbs wrote:
> > Brian Schröder wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello List,
> > >
> > > again I ask for your help. I'm going to give a 16 hours course on ruby
> > > this week, and I've created some slides to aid me with this.
> > > I have to admit that some examples might not be as bright as
> I wish, and
> > > also there are missing some exercises.
> > > I created the slides in english, such that they can be used
> by a bigger
> > > part of the community if need should be.
> > >
> > > The slides will not cover all that I hope to say in the
> course, when the
> > > slides have finished I will start with a free experimentation phase
> > > based on my ants sample implementation
> > > http://ruby.brian-schroede...
> > >
> > > It would be great if some of you could look at the slides and correct
> > > the language and if somebody comes up with a great example or
> exercise I
> > > would also be glad for comments.
> > >
> > > The slides are located at
> > > http://ruby.brian-schroeder....
> >
> > This is great! Can I add your slides to the WhyRuby? repository
> > (http://whyruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Ruby_Pre...)?
> >
> > Curt
> >

> > ---
> >

> ---

Brian Schröder

Curt Hibbs wrote:
> Curt Hibbs wrote:
>
>>I noticed a couple of typos:

Thanks for taking the time to read it!

Regards,

Brian
--
Brian Schröder
http://ruby.brian-sch...

Brian Schröder

James Edward Gray II wrote:
> On Oct 4, 2004, at 12:17 PM, Brian Schröder wrote:
>
>> Hello List,
>>
>> again I ask for your help. I'm going to give a 16 hours course on ruby
>> this week, and I've created some slides to aid me with this.
>

> The presentation is looking pretty good. One thing I did notice, on
> page 19 and 20, the comments do not reflect the code. You talk about
> yield, but use a passed block.
>
> Cover slide looks good! ;)

Thanks ;) I really liked this. Even though the unetched one had a better
angle of vision, but the etched ruby is geekier.

Thanks for the comments. In fact there was a problem in my makefiles, I
had fixed this before but the update was not reflected. Guess I have to
learn rake.

I want to link to your sides on the slides homepage to give you the
credits for the image, where should I link to?

regards,

Brian
--
Brian Schröder
http://ruby.brian-sch...

Brian Schröder

Curt Hibbs wrote:
> Brian Schröder wrote:
>
>>Hello List,
>>
>>again I ask for your help. I'm going to give a 16 hours course on ruby
>>this week, and I've created some slides to aid me with this.
>>I have to admit that some examples might not be as bright as I wish, and
>>also there are missing some exercises.
>>I created the slides in english, such that they can be used by a bigger
>>part of the community if need should be.
>>
>>The slides will not cover all that I hope to say in the course, when the
>>slides have finished I will start with a free experimentation phase
>>based on my ants sample implementation
>>http://ruby.brian-schroede...
>>
>>It would be great if some of you could look at the slides and correct
>>the language and if somebody comes up with a great example or exercise I
>>would also be glad for comments.
>>
>>The slides are located at
>>http://ruby.brian-schroeder....
>

> This is great! Can I add your slides to the WhyRuby? repository
> (http://whyruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Ruby_Pre...)?
>
> Curt

Shure, but the final relase will be on sunday after the course has
finished.
Until then I hope the slides will expand a bit more.

Regards,

Brian
--
Brian Schröder
http://ruby.brian-sch...

James Gray

On Oct 4, 2004, at 3:08 PM, Brian Schröder wrote:

> I want to link to your sides on the slides homepage to give you the
> credits for the image, where should I link to?

If you're worried about it, just include my name. Hmm, unless you want
to use it as an excuse to get more people hooked on Ruby Quiz?
<laughs> Seriously, the image is free. You're under no obligation.
I'm glad it helped.

James Edward Gray II