WideStudio English page updates

David Ross

10/3/2004 12:06:00 AM

There have been some new screenshots added to the WideStudio webpage
recently.

http://www.widestudio.org/EE/...

Software version updated to
28/09/2004 Released WideStudio(v3.80-5)

---What is WideStudio?
- WideStudio is an integrated development environment(IDE) to build GUI
applications for Linux / Linux /dev/fb direct / FreeBSD / SOLARIS /
Windows95/98/ME/NT/2000/Xp WindowsCE / T-Engine / BTRON / uCLinux / ZAURUS

- Supports C/C++, Perl, Python, Ruby programing language.

- Supports UNICODE(UTF8) and multi encoding function with various kind
of encodeing like EUC-JP,SJIS,EUC-KR,EUC-CN,UTF8,ISO8859-X.
It is possible to develop real international applications and real multi
platform applications independent to the difference of the encoding
between varias platforms. - Supports OpenGL and
database(PostgreSQL/MySQL/ODBC)

You can use your favorite editor with the GUI Designer when coding by
setting a variable so when you click it opens your editor. Some of you
out there are commercial developers, and don't want to be tagged by GUI
toolkit libraries with a license that might conflict with your work
specifications. WideStudio is MIT/X Consortiun Licenced.

--dross

3 Answers

Matt Lawrence

David Ross

Well. The English documentation for it is just about existant as many
projects for ruby, nunca :) Do what every BSD says to do, "Read the
source" *chuckle* Actually, I had to just play with it. There is
documentation, but not like you would expect. It makes me laugh to think
what NaHi was telling me how he loved learning from examples than he
does reading documentation. =)

Pointers? You just drag and drop and click on generate code and it does
it for you. Even for events, you have to use the instances panel and
poke around. It generates all code you need. One problem I currently
have though is the lack of small binary distributions. As you will
notice the Windows download is approximately 100MB. Also there are no
prebuilt binaries. I might just have to create some rpms, it bothers me.
The on;y reasons I use it is for; 1) its the most cross-platform I have
ever seen 2) the designer, and 3) the great license.

The cross platform surprises me that it works well on any platform I
have tried. I haven't tried on embedded platforms, but am eager to try
it out.

Oh, btw. Most of the original comments were stripped out of the code.
You probably wouldn't be able to read them anyway, they are in Japanese.

--dross

Matt Lawrence wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, David Ross wrote:
>
>> There have been some new screenshots added to the WideStudio webpage
>> recently.
>>
>> http://www.widestudio.org/EE/...
>

> I've been looking at the documentation and I don't see a lot of info
> about Ruby bindings. Do you have any good pointers on using it with
> Ruby?
>
> -- Matt
> It's not what I know that counts, it's what I can remember in time to
> use.

David Ross

Btw, it explains the method definitions and api in the documentation.
Its not in Ruby, but that shouldn't matter as long as its understandable.

On my system its located file:///usr/local/ws/doc/C/ht-ref/objects.html

--dross