comp.programming.threads

More about my scalable distributed sequential lock

Ramine

12/6/2014 4:13:00 AM

Hello,

We must be smart my dear programmers and hardware engineers...

As you have noticed i have invented and implemented a powerful
synchronization mechanism called Scalable distributed sequential lock,
but we have to be smart please, if you look at the Pthread reader-writer
lock , it's not using a distributed algorithm, so
it's atomicaly incrementing a shared variable and causing cache lines
transfers between cores on the reader side, and this act of incrementing
atomicaly a shared variable is considered part of the Serial part of the
Amdahl's law, so this act of incrementing atomicaly a shared variable on
the reader side of the Pthread reader-writer lock will not scale, but in
contrast my scalable distributed sequential lock is using an hybrid
mechanism that it runs in two modes, in a Seqlock (sequential lock) mode
and in a distributed reader-writer lock mode, that means the distributed
algorithm that i am using is rendering this atomic increment on the
reader side into a scalable parallel part of the Amdahl's law, cause in
my distributed algorithm the "lock add" assembler instruction is only
executed by a group of threads belonging to the same core , so this part
is considered a parallel part , so then
it will scale very well, and that's a big improvement over the Pthread
reader-writer lock, now if you have noticed Chris M. Thomasson have
just answered to me by saying that RCU don't use atomics or memory
barriers on the reader side, so this will make it both "faster" and
"scalable", but you have to understand that my new algorithm is
less faster than RCU but it's scalable on read-mostly scenarios,
and you have to understand also that it improves on some characteristics
over Seqlock because my new algorithm will not starve and livelock with
more writers, so you have to understand that if you want your website to
load balance correctly between the users you can not simply use Seqlock,
cause Seqlock gives preference to the writers
and it can livelock and starve on scenarios with more writers,
so this is why my new algorithm comes in hand because it load balance
between readers and writers better than Seqlock.

Hope you have unerstood what i want to say in this post, so hope
you have found my new algorithm called Scalable distributed sequential
lock an interesting invention that you have to take into consideration.

You can download my scalable distributed sequential lock from:

https://sites.google.com/site/aminer68/scalable-distributed-seque...

Thank you,
Amine Moulay Ramdane.
1 Answer

geezer10

Bloodbath;462405 Wrote:
> Hi all, it seems that updating the BIOS solved the problem. Been playing
> games for more than a week now and no blue screens yet. Cheers for the
> help.
>
> "geezer10" wrote:

Excellent! appreciate the note - good to have got one right for a
change.

Perhaps I was a little hard on corsair - a lot of folks in this forum
rate them highly - it all depends if your motherboard is happy.

forget the mac - PC got game!

--
geezer10