comp.programming.threads

About my scalable RWLocks

Ramine

11/25/2014 10:52:00 PM

Hello,

So as you have noticed i have invented my scalable RWLocks
that contain also scalable RWLocks's variants that are
starvation-free and livelock-free.. the Seqlock doesn't
fullfil this requirement for the scenarios that contain
many more writes... so i think i will not port the Seqlock
that was wrote in Java to Delphi and Freepascal, cause i feel
that my scalable RWLocks are really good and scalable on read
mostly scenarios and they are starvation-free and livelock-free
even on scenario with many more writers , so i think that
my scalable RWLocks can replace even RCU cause they are
really scalable on read-mostly scenarios, and my scalable
RWLocks can replace Seqlock cause Seqlock can livelock and
can starve on scenario with many more writers...

So i will advice you to use my scalable RWLocks cause they are really
good:

https://sites.google.com/site/aminer68/scala...

Thank you,
Amine Moulay Ramdane.

1 Answer

Chris M. Thomasson

> "Ramine" wrote in message news:m53167$gio$2@dont-email.me...

> [...]
> so i think that
> my scalable RWLocks can replace even RCU cause they are
> really scalable on read-mostly scenarios, and my scalable
> RWLocks can replace Seqlock cause Seqlock can livelock and
> can starve on scenario with many more writers...

FWIW, Seqlocks were simply NOT designed with a lot of writers in
mind. A lot of writers wrt RCU doesn't really cast terrible effects on
the read-side performance. Therefore, I do not really understand
your point for a Seqlock is not meant for a lot of writers!

If you came up with a rwlock that can beat RCU read side, well, then
you may have something neat here. Have you tested against a well
engineered RCU implementation? FWIW, I cannot beat RCU with
any traditional rwlock. A possible exception to this would be Dmitry
Vyukov's EXCELLENT asymmetric rwlock. However, this would hardly
be traditional! ;^D

AFAICT, the key is in the clever asymmetry between readers and
writers...