MIRE #2: Drawing Knotwork Images With ruby

Brian Wisti

10/1/2004 6:54:00 PM

Hi all,

It's time for the second Moderately Interesting Ruby Exercise. This
time around, I decided that I wanted to make pretty pictures and
impress my girlfriend. With that task accomplished (one key to success
for you guys out there: keep her expectations low, and she'll always be
pleased with what you can accomplish), I posted the resulting code on
my website:

http://coolnam...geekery/ruby...

Everybody please take a look at it and let me know what you think! It's
always open for a little revision.

Kind Regards,

Brian Wisti
http://coolnam...

4 Answers

Markus

Nice.

I love the "lateral thinking" approach.

-- MarkusQ

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 11:54, Brian Wisti wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It's time for the second Moderately Interesting Ruby Exercise. This
> time around, I decided that I wanted to make pretty pictures and
> impress my girlfriend. With that task accomplished (one key to success
> for you guys out there: keep her expectations low, and she'll always be
> pleased with what you can accomplish), I posted the resulting code on
> my website:
>
> http://coolnam...geekery/ruby...
>
> Everybody please take a look at it and let me know what you think! It's
> always open for a little revision.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Brian Wisti
> http://coolnam...

Brian Wisti

Thank you very much.

Wait ...

Were you talking about the article itself or the approach to impressing
my girlfriend?

Well, thanks either way I guess :-)

Kind Regards,

Brian Wisti
http://coolnam...

--- Markus <markus@reality.com> wrote:

> Nice.
>
> I love the "lateral thinking" approach.
>
> -- MarkusQ
>

> On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 11:54, Brian Wisti wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > It's time for the second Moderately Interesting Ruby Exercise. This
> > time around, I decided that I wanted to make pretty pictures and
> > impress my girlfriend. With that task accomplished (one key to
> success
> > for you guys out there: keep her expectations low, and she'll
> always be
> > pleased with what you can accomplish), I posted the resulting code
> on
> > my website:
> >
> > http://coolnam...geekery/ruby/mire/002/
> >
> > Everybody please take a look at it and let me know what you think!
> It's
> > always open for a little revision.
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> >
> > Brian Wisti
> > http://coolnam...

Al Dunbar

That makes three of us that failed to provide the OP a vbs solution, so I'm not sure of the reason for your complaint. When I replied I had already seen that Pegasus had provided the batch solution that the OP was primarily interested in. On balance I feel that our combined response has been basically constructive - unless, of course, you feel that we should be giving batch advice here.

If there is a perception that providing a vbscript solution is a prerequisite for providing navigational advice, then perhaps we should consider "vbscrpt" as a generic term meaning "whatever scripting methodology you can't find a newsgroup for...

/Al

"Todd Vargo" <tlvargo@sbcglobal.netz> wrote in message news:u4aSBp0hJHA.2384@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
OP included "(even vbs)", so it would be appropriate to provide a vbs equivalent solution along with your topicality redirection.
"Al Dunbar" <alandrub@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eHWvua0hJHA.6128@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
If you are looking for batch solutions, please post them at microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin or microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting, where such questions are more on-topic than here in the vbscript newsgroup.

/Al
"James" <jbrister@kennerpd.com> wrote in message news:eTDCtsWhJHA.3728@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
This might be a dumb question but, I can't find a simple answer anywhere. Is there a way via a bat or cmd (even vbs) to:

1) auto logon to a FTP server
2) do an "xcopy" from a ftp server to one directory on the local drive
3) auto logoff and close the ftp session

I don't need the folders. I just need all of the files that are in separate folders to be placed in one folder locally. Finally, is there a way to skip files that are already on local drive so they do not get re-written?

Thanks in advance,

James

Todd Vargo

It was not a complaint. I was thinking along the lines of, "Is there a way...", from a vbs aspect that was left unanswered. I'm curious because I don't know.

OTOH, if one is just going to police groups for topicality... well, let's not get into that discussion before the next group policeman comes along to lecture us about top posting.