comp.programming.threads

Scalable locks...

Ramine

10/22/2014 1:10:00 AM

Hello,

Please read the following paper to know why i have invented my
scalable MLock:

http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/papers/linu...

But you have to be carefull, the Ticket spinlock with a proportional
backoff is not good, cause if there is more context switch the thread
that is scheduled has to use all its quantum time and this will slow
a lot the Ticket spinlock with a proportional backoff , so you have
to use a Sleep(0) just after the proportional backoff to solve this
problem, but i have benchmarked it by adding the sleep(0) and i have
noticed that my scalable MLock will give better performance than
the Ticket spinlock with a proportional backoff and with a sleep(0)
just after the proportional backoff, so i advice you to use my scalable
MLock instead cause it's faster and better.

You can download my scalable MLock from:

https://sites.google.com/site...

Thank you,
Amine Moulay Ramdane.

1 Answer

Ramine

The Sleep(0) is on Windows, to give up he time slice.