[nuby] Can't get rails to work

stephen.hill

10/1/2004 10:40:00 AM

OK, I'm not a complete nuby - I've been using Ruby for almost 5 years
now. But this is my first delve into the wonderful world of web apps.

I have a stock Suse 8.0 installation, ruby 1.8, apache 1.3 and
rails-0.6.5 (from tarball) installation. I have tried installling
rails according to the README file.

Rails has gone into /usr/local/httpd/cgi-bin/rails. I couldn't find an
apache.conf file, but there was a httpd.conf file in /etc/httpd. I
have tried appending the apache conf section in the README into
/etc/httpd/httpd.conf, changing the path heads to
/usr/local/httpd/cgi-bin/rails/. I also made the whole rails directory
tree publicly readable and writable (chmod -R 777 rails). So the
section reads

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName rails
DocumentRoot /usr/local/htppd/cgi-bin/rails/public/
ErrorLog /usr/local/htppd/cgi-bin/rails/log/apache.log

<Directory /usr/local/htppd/cgi-bin/rails/public/>
Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride all
Allow from all
Order allow,deny
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

I have also set the cgi-bin section to read
<Location /cgi-bin>
AllowOverride None
Options +ExecCGI +FollowSymLinks +Includes
SetHandler cgi-script
</Location>

and I have restarted Apache.
So, the basic problem is that none of the following web addresses give
me the rails spalsh page
http://rails - unknown host
http://127.0... - not found
http://127.0.0.1/cgi... - forbidden

And (for example) if I try http://127.0.0.1/cgi... I get the
following line in rails/lo/apache.log
[date] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] attempt to invoke directory as
script: /usr/local/httpd/cgi-bin/rails

What am I doing wrong please?

regards, treefrog
3 Answers

David Heinemeier Hansson

> OK, I'm not a complete nuby - I've been using Ruby for almost 5 years
> now. But this is my first delve into the wonderful world of web apps.
>
> I have a stock Suse 8.0 installation, ruby 1.8, apache 1.3 and
> rails-0.6.5 (from tarball) installation. I have tried installling
> rails according to the README file.

The one thing you don't want to be bogged down with when learning a new
environment is configuration. The best way to avoid that is to go with
GEMs for installation and WEBrick as the web server.

You can learn about GEMs with http://www.rubyon...sho....

Once you have that up, you can start the WEBrick server with "cd
public; ruby dispatch.servet -a".

Then go to http://localhost:3000 -- you're on Rails!

...once you're ready to play around with Apache again, here are my
suggestions:

> Rails has gone into /usr/local/httpd/cgi-bin/rails. I couldn't find an
> apache.conf file, but there was a httpd.conf file in /etc/httpd.

That sounds like the one you want..

> <VirtualHost *:80>
> ServerName rails
> DocumentRoot /usr/local/htppd/cgi-bin/rails/public/

It looks like you got httpd wrong as "htppd". Apache is not really to
good about being clear on errors like that. They often mask as
Permissions Denied.

> and I have restarted Apache.
> So, the basic problem is that none of the following web addresses give
> me the rails spalsh page
> http://rails - unknown host
> http://127.0... - not found
> http://127.0.0.1/cgi... - forbidden

You need to add this line to your /etc/hosts file:

127.0.0.1 rails
--
David Heinemeier Hansson,
http://www.rubyon... -- Web-application framework for Ruby

!DSPAM:415d6df1678164797017188!

stephen.hill

David Heinemeier Hansson <david@loudthinking.com> wrote in message news:<BCE93DB8-13B8-11D9-8B22-000D932CD5BA@loudthinking.com>...
> > OK, I'm not a complete nuby - I've been using Ruby for almost 5 years
> > now. But this is my first delve into the wonderful world of web apps.
> >
> > I have a stock Suse 8.0 installation, ruby 1.8, apache 1.3 and
> > rails-0.6.5 (from tarball) installation. I have tried installling
> > rails according to the README file.
>
> The one thing you don't want to be bogged down with when learning a new
> environment is configuration. The best way to avoid that is to go with
> GEMs for installation and WEBrick as the web server.

The installation seems fine - I don't have web access on my Linux box
- so I tend to take tars and unzip them

> You can learn about GEMs with http://www.rubyon...sho....
>
> Once you have that up, you can start the WEBrick server with "cd
> public; ruby dispatch.servet -a".
>
> Then go to http://localhost:3000 -- you're on Rails!

I did try that but I couldn't get it to go - could it be colliding
with the Instiki WEBrick server?

> ..once you're ready to play around with Apache again, here are my
> suggestions:
>
> > Rails has gone into /usr/local/httpd/cgi-bin/rails. I couldn't find an
> > apache.conf file, but there was a httpd.conf file in /etc/httpd.
>
> That sounds like the one you want..
>
> > <VirtualHost *:80>
> > ServerName rails
> > DocumentRoot /usr/local/htppd/cgi-bin/rails/public/
>
> It looks like you got httpd wrong as "htppd". Apache is not really to
> good about being clear on errors like that. They often mask as
> Permissions Denied.
>
> > and I have restarted Apache.
> > So, the basic problem is that none of the following web addresses give
> > me the rails spalsh page
> > http://rails - unknown host
> > http://127.0... - not found
> > http://127.0.0.1/cgi... - forbidden
>
> You need to add this line to your /etc/hosts file:
>
> 127.0.0.1 rails

Aha!

I will try everything you have suggested - thanks for the help

regards

Steve

> --
> David Heinemeier Hansson,
> http://www.rubyon... -- Web-application framework for Ruby
> http://www.in... -- A No-Step-Three Wiki in Ruby
> http://www.basec... -- Web-based Project Management
> http://www.loudthi... -- Broadcasting Brain
> http://www.next... -- Development & Consulting Services
>

> !DSPAM:415d6df1678164797017188!

David Heinemeier Hansson

> I did try that but I couldn't get it to go - could it be colliding
> with the Instiki WEBrick server?

Not unless you've specifically told Instiki (or some other service) to
live on port 3000. You can do ruby dispatch.servlet --help to get
information about using another than the default port, if that's where
the problem is.

What kind of error are you getting?