comp.programming.threads

[ANN] CppCon 2014 program available

Boris Kolpackov

7/2/2014 9:17:00 AM

The CppCon 2014 Program is now available with talk titles, abstracts,
and speakers:

http://cppcon.org/conferenc...

The program contains over 100 one-hour sessions by over 70 speakers
including plenary sessions by Scott Meyers and Herb Sutter, as well
as the keynotes by C++ creator Bjarne Stroustrup on Keeping Simple
Things Simple and Mark Maimone on using C++ on Mars: Incorporating
C++ into Mars Rover Flight Software.

We have also extended the Early Bird deadline to July 9 so you have
a week to study the program and still get the Early Bird rate.

Hope to see you in Bellevue!

Boris
6 Answers

Alan Tonisson

Of course it is, and it has been raised countless times by people wondering
why they can only see 3Gb (if they are lucky).
The same amount of memory as on the card gets allocated memory addresses
within the 4Gb address space limit of 32 bit vista.
(which means that physical memory is unavailable even though its not
actually being used)
Thats why you need 64 bit if you have 4Gb memory, so that this allocation is
then beyond the physical memory and makes no difference.
Its a limitation of 32 bit that is only now rearing its ugly head as more of
us are installing more memory.
Not sure of its relevance to the original posters question though.

Phypps

"Frenchy" <Invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message

> "Wim Hekken ;-)" <a@b.invalid> wrote in message
>> Shawn Malligan wrote:
>>> Hello
>>> I am using two Albatron 8880GTS 320mb cards in SLI mode. When I try to
>>> play Railroads or Civilisation 4 (any of them) I get two white stripes
>>> and and an SLI sign on the left side of the screen during bootup and the
>>> game. It disappears when I return to the desktop. I have used the
>>> official latest Vista Nvidia Drivers and the three beta ones released
>>> since 162.22. If I switch from SLI to single card display everything is
>>> fine. I have tried the MS patches which are supposed to fix performance
>>> issues but they say they are'nt for my system. I haven't tried any other
>>> game since the problem has started.
>>> My CPU is a Core 2 Quad Core 6600, 4gb (recognised as 3gb in 32bit Vista
>>> Premium 32bit) and monitor an Acer AL1916W. I'd like to be able to use
>>> SLI since that's why I bought two cards. Does anyone else have this
>>> problem or know what I can do?
>>> Thanks Shawn
>>
>> My two cents:
>> A 32-bit system can only adress 4 GB. This includes the graphic cards.
>> Does your problem arise when you remove 1 GB of RAM?
>> --
>>
>> Wim Hekken ;-)
>
> Well that's the first I have EVER heard of the Graphic Cards Memory being
> included in the 4 Gb!!
>
> I ain't saying it is wrong but surely that would have been raised long
> before this!
>
> Can any MSVP cast light on this bold statement!
>
> Frenchy
> with 785 Mb on his Video Card

Shawn Malligan

Hello again

I downloaded the official Vista 32 Bit Nvidia drivers 163.69 (not the beta
one) and now Railroads and Civilization run without the SLI Stripes. But
today I purchased World In Conflict and while booting and playing that the
Stripes are back. Would the next update of Nvidia drivers fix this new
problem as well?

Thanks Shawn

Andy [Ex-MSFT]

"Wim Hekken ;-)" <a@b.invalid> wrote in message
> Shawn Malligan wrote:
>> Hello
>> I am using two Albatron 8880GTS 320mb cards in SLI mode. When I try to
>> play Railroads or Civilisation 4 (any of them) I get two white stripes
>> and and an SLI sign on the left side of the screen during bootup and the
>> game. It disappears when I return to the desktop. I have used the
>> official latest Vista Nvidia Drivers and the three beta ones released
>> since 162.22. If I switch from SLI to single card display everything is
>> fine. I have tried the MS patches which are supposed to fix performance
>> issues but they say they are'nt for my system. I haven't tried any other
>> game since the problem has started.
>> My CPU is a Core 2 Quad Core 6600, 4gb (recognised as 3gb in 32bit Vista
>> Premium 32bit) and monitor an Acer AL1916W. I'd like to be able to use
>> SLI since that's why I bought two cards. Does anyone else have this
>> problem or know what I can do?
>> Thanks Shawn
>
> My two cents:
> A 32-bit system can only adress 4 GB. This includes the graphic cards.
> Does your problem arise when you remove 1 GB of RAM?

the 32-bit archtechture of the 80386 intel chipset has a maximum memory
address of 4,194,304 Kbytes. In "Theory" Vista should be able to address all
that ram, but for some reason it can't. Don't know if it has something to do
with Video, but if I recall my system archtecture classes back in the late
90s, it shouldn't

So the system CAN access all 4 gigs of ram, and it doesn't matter how much
ram you have on your video card, but with the way Vista handles RAM I don't
think it will access all 4 gigs, no idea why, I'm guessing the way Vista
handles RAM now that it's unable to completely address all the ram the
architecture is capible of handling.

If you want to see all 4 gigs, find a copy of 64-bit Vista or run Windows XP
32-bit.

As for Railroads (AWESOME game) and Civ (well a bit played out, but still
awesome), no idea. Got a screen shot of the problem?

Peter Lawton

What you need to do is turn off the SLI visual indicators, they're a
diagnostic tool to show you whether SLI is working, what mode it's in and
how much work is being done by which card.

The horizontal band is shown when you're running in split frame SLI mode,
the 2 stripes on the left are shown when you're in alternate frame mode, if
there's no stripes and the indicators are enabled then you're not running in
SLI mode at all.

To turn the indicators off:-

Open the Nvidia control panel, on the top menu select "3D Settings", on the
drop down you'll see "Show SLI visual indicators", if that's ticked the bars
are enabled, if it isn't they're hidden.

Peter Lawton

"Shawn Malligan" <shawnmalligan@eftel.net.au.nospam> wrote in message
> Hello again
>
> I downloaded the official Vista 32 Bit Nvidia drivers 163.69 (not the beta
> one) and now Railroads and Civilization run without the SLI Stripes. But
> today I purchased World In Conflict and while booting and playing that the
> Stripes are back. Would the next update of Nvidia drivers fix this new
> problem as well?
>
> Thanks Shawn

Shawn Malligan

Hello

I find in Nvidia Control Panel for Vista a menu for SLI Performance mode and
I switch between Single GPU, Force Split Frame Rendering and Force Alternate
Frame Rendering 1 and 2. I try each selection no luck. No drop down for Show
SLI Visiual Inditcators so no problem solved. New Driver?

Thanks everybody Shawn

Peter Lawton

On mine the "3D Settings" is right at the top of the control panel, on the
top menu bar. Not one of the main options on the left to change the
rendering types.

On the top bar I've got "File" "Edit" "View" "3D Settings" "Help"