comp.programming.threads

Deadline Paper Submission CARLA 2014: June 30.

ghernandez

6/2/2014 6:44:00 PM

The deadline for submitting papers to CARLA 2014 is only a month away: June 30.
Please check the detailed information in carla2014.hpclatam.org

It is important to mention that the proceedings of CARLA will be published in CCIS Series of Springer and a selection of the best papers will be published in the ISI journal Cluster Computing.
2 Answers

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Daniel Crichton wrote:

> Execute sTemp
>
> Use this code at your own risk. It shouldn't cause any problems, but
> I can't guarantee it. If anyone can suggest improvements to this I'd
> be happy to hear them.

The basic problem with this is the use of Execute. For an explanation of why
I say this google Lippert and "Eval is Evil"

Many times, application development comes down to a choice between runtime
performance/efficientcy/resource-expenditure and developer convenience. I
typically choose the former.

I have faced this situation (needing to decide at runtime which include
files to load) but up to this point, I have been able to use encapsulation
techniques to avoid using Execute. However, at some point, a choice will
need to be made between the memory/cpu consumed by loading all the
encapsulated functionality
and the resources consumed by using Execute to avoid loading the entire
shebang. My intent in making this post is to make sure readers know that
this choice should be an intelligent one based on testing and measurements,
rather than just doing the one that makes writing the code a little easier.

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

Daniel Crichton

Bob wrote on Fri, 19 Oct 2007 07:59:12 -0400:

> My
> intent in making this post is to make sure readers know that this
> choice should be an intelligent one based on testing and measurements,
> rather than just doing the one that makes writing the code a little
> easier.

Oh, I agree. Sometimes it's just not possible to rewrite everything,
especially if the customer wants it finished yesterday. I always try to
avoid this sort of thing, and only use includes for common functions if
possible, but for one particular case this was the only solution I could
come up with in the specified timeframe and so far it's worked flawlessly,
and there's been no noticeable performance degradation (my use of it is on
an intranet system with a small number of users and a low transaction rate,
not a public web site).

--
Dan