comp.programming

Please read this about my scalable MLock

aminer

5/23/2014 4:57:00 AM

Hello,

Please read this:

"A bigger problem with the MCS lock is its API. It requires a second
structure to be passed in addition to the address of the lock. The
algorithm uses this second structure to store the information which
describes the queue of threads waiting for the lock. Unfortunately, most
code written using spinlocks doesn't have this extra information, so the
fact that the MCS algorithm isn't a drop-in replacement to a standard
spin lock is a problem.

An IBM working group found a way to improve the MCS algorithm to remove
the need to pass the extra structure as a parameter. Instead, on-stack
information was used instead. The result is the K42 lock algorithm:

Unfortunately, the K42 algorithm has another problem. It appears that it
may be patented by IBM. Thus it cannot be used either. (Without perhaps
paying royalties to IBM.)"

So you have to know that my scalable MLock doesn't require a local
"queue node" to be passed in as a parameter as is doing the MCS and CLH
locks, my scalable MLock doen't require any parameter to be passed,
just call the Enter() and Leave() method and that's all.

- This scalable Lock was discovered by Amine Moulay Ramdane

- It has the same space requirement as the scalable MCS lock

- Doesn't require a local "queue node" to be passed in as a parameter
as is doing the MCS and CLH locks.

- Spins only on local locations on a cache-coherent machine

And my scalable MLock is fast.

You can download my scalable MLock from:

https://sites.google.com/site/aminer68/scal...

Thank you,
Amine Moulay Ramdane.