Re: Pty for Windows (win32utils?

djberg96

9/28/2004 1:58:00 AM

ptkwt@aracnet.com (Phil Tomson) wrote in message news:<cisnnh05d3@enews2.newsguy.com>...
> In article <200409220743.i8M7hbLh018282@sharui.nakada.niregi.kanuma.tochigi.jp>,
> <nobu.nokada@softhome.net> wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >At Sun, 19 Sep 2004 08:54:42 +0900,
> >Phil Tomson wrote in [ruby-talk:113045]:
> >> There doesn't seem to be a Pty package for Windows.
> >
> >Windows doesn't provide pty feature.
>
> I suspected as much...
>

> >> I suspect that 'fork' is needed to do Pty.
> >>
> >> Now that Win32Utils includes process (and as I recall, a 'fork'
> >> implementation), what would be involved in porting Pty to Windows?
> >
> >It's not the main problem.
> >

> What I'm wondering is if we can emulate it on Windows similar to how
> 'fork' is emulated in Win32Utils?
>
> Phil

It might be possible, but it would take some research. It might
require porting something like the Win32::Console Perl module, but I'm
guessing.

Regards,

Dan
1 Answer

nobu.nokada

At Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:59:55 +0900,
Daniel Berger wrote in [ruby-talk:113956]:
> It might be possible, but it would take some research. It might
> require porting something like the Win32::Console Perl module, but I'm
> guessing.

It seems like to curses rather than pty, which is quite
different. Pty slave must be look as a character device at
least, e.g., isatty() returns true.

--
Nobu Nakada