irb configure options

James Gray

9/28/2004 1:28:00 AM

Where is a good source I can learn irb configuration options from?

I'm currently interested in whether or not I can get the up arrow to
repeat my last line, but I would also like to see what's available.

Thanks.

James Edward Gray II

16 Answers

Dave Thomas

On Sep 27, 2004, at 20:28, James Edward Gray II wrote:

> Where is a good source I can learn irb configuration options from?
>
> I'm currently interested in whether or not I can get the up arrow to
> repeat my last line, but I would also like to see what's available.

There's a chapter on irb in the new PickAxe :)

Cheers

Dave

James Gray

On Sep 27, 2004, at 9:41 PM, Dave Thomas wrote:

> On Sep 27, 2004, at 20:28, James Edward Gray II wrote:
>
>> Where is a good source I can learn irb configuration options from?
>>
>> I'm currently interested in whether or not I can get the up arrow to
>> repeat my last line, but I would also like to see what's available.
>
> There's a chapter on irb in the new PickAxe :)

Well, hurry up and get it to me then! <laughs>

Seriously, you have my order and I'm eagerly awaiting my copy. The
original PickAxe is what brought me into Ruby to begin with, so I
expect great things from the new volume. Thanks in advance for what
I'm sure will be a great read. I've yet to be disappointed by any of
your books.

James Edward Gray II

Brian Schröder

James Edward Gray II wrote:
> Where is a good source I can learn irb configuration options from?
>
> I'm currently interested in whether or not I can get the up arrow to
> repeat my last line, but I would also like to see what's available.
>
> Thanks.
>
> James Edward Gray II

If you don't mind going insane, take a look at:

http://poignantguide.net/ruby/expansion-...

regards,

Brian
--
Brian Schröder
http://ruby.brian-sch...

James Gray

On Sep 28, 2004, at 5:00 AM, Brian Schröder wrote:

> James Edward Gray II wrote:
>> Where is a good source I can learn irb configuration options from?
>> I'm currently interested in whether or not I can get the up arrow to
>> repeat my last line, but I would also like to see what's available.
>> Thanks.
>> James Edward Gray II
>
> If you don't mind going insane, take a look at:
>
> http://poignantguide.net/ruby/expansion-...

Thanks for the link. I'm trying to get tab completion going on Mac OS
X, from the suggested:

% irb --readline -r irb/completion
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/completion.rb:10:in `require': No such file
to load -- readline (LoadError)
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/completion.rb:10
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:218:in `require'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:218:in `load_modules'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:216:in `each'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:216:in `load_modules'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:21:in `setup'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb.rb:54:in `start'
from /usr/local/bin/irb:13

But as you can see, I'm getting errors. Any ideas?

James Edward Gray II

Brian Schröder

James Edward Gray II wrote:
> On Sep 28, 2004, at 5:00 AM, Brian Schröder wrote:
>
>> James Edward Gray II wrote:
>>
>>> Where is a good source I can learn irb configuration options from?
>>> I'm currently interested in whether or not I can get the up arrow to
>>> repeat my last line, but I would also like to see what's available.
>>> Thanks.
>>> James Edward Gray II
>>

>> If you don't mind going insane, take a look at:
>>
>> http://poignantguide.net/ruby/expansion-...
>

> Thanks for the link. I'm trying to get tab completion going on Mac OS
> X, from the suggested:
>
> % irb --readline -r irb/completion
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/completion.rb:10:in `require': No such file
> to load -- readline (LoadError)
> from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/completion.rb:10
> from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:218:in `require'
> from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:218:in `load_modules'
> from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:216:in `each'
> from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:216:in `load_modules'
> from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/init.rb:21:in `setup'
> from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/irb.rb:54:in `start'
> from /usr/local/bin/irb:13
>
> But as you can see, I'm getting errors. Any ideas?
>
> James Edward Gray II

I don't run Max OS but it seems to me that you are missing the readline
bindings for ruby.

Regards,

Brian

--
Brian Schröder
http://ruby.brian-sch...

James Gray

On Sep 28, 2004, at 8:37 AM, Brian Schröder wrote:

> I don't run Max OS but it seems to me that you are missing the
> readline bindings for ruby.

Yeah, that must be it. I can't load that module from Ruby. I
installed 1.8.2pre2 from source. I wonder why it missed it.

James Edward Gray II

why the lucky stiff

James Edward Gray II wrote:

> On Sep 28, 2004, at 8:37 AM, Brian Schröder wrote:
>
>> I don't run Max OS but it seems to me that you are missing the
>> readline bindings for ruby.
>

> Yeah, that must be it. I can't load that module from Ruby. I
> installed 1.8.2pre2 from source. I wonder why it missed it.

In case, you're still strugglin...

Chris has a few distribution links:
<http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/poignant-stiffs/2004-July/00008...

For anyone having problems on Windows:
<http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/poignant-stiffs/2004-July/00008...

_why

James Gray

On Sep 28, 2004, at 10:00 AM, why the lucky stiff wrote:

> In case, you're still strugglin...
>
> Chris has a few distribution links:
> <http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/poignant-stiffs/2004-July/00008...

Thanks. This link explains the Mac OS X problem. Unfortunately, it's
a little dated (focusing on OS X.2). I'll fiddle around a bit, now
that I know what I'm looking for though.

If anybody has managed to get readline working with Ruby 1.8.2pre2 on
Mac OS X though, please chime in with the steps...

James Edward Gray II

Mark Hubbart

On Sep 28, 2004, at 8:24 AM, James Edward Gray II wrote:

> On Sep 28, 2004, at 10:00 AM, why the lucky stiff wrote:
>
>> In case, you're still strugglin...
>>
>> Chris has a few distribution links:
>> <http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/poignant-stiffs/2004-July/00008...
>
> Thanks. This link explains the Mac OS X problem. Unfortunately, it's
> a little dated (focusing on OS X.2). I'll fiddle around a bit, now
> that I know what I'm looking for though.
>
> If anybody has managed to get readline working with Ruby 1.8.2pre2 on
> Mac OS X though, please chime in with the steps...

Mac OS X usually has a readline library installed; and if it is
installed, it's not in a standard place; so Ruby's readline support
quietly fails to compile. I know you can download a precompiled
readline.bundle [1], which you can just drop in, or you can download
gnu readline to compile against.

HTH,
Mark

[1] http://cherryville.org/8896/ruby_readline_fo...

> James Edward Gray II

Alexey Verkhovsky

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 18:00, why the lucky stiff wrote:
> In case, you're still strugglin...

There are still some people who don't have auto-completion in irb
working properly. In my case (latest One-Click Installer on Win2K), if I
type Array::<tab>, I get a list of methods alright. But if I do
Array.<tab>, I get a segfault instead. On Linux at home completion
works like a swiss clock though.

Is there a recipe for this predicament?

Alex