Re: Class-level readers and writers

dblack

ts

D> I thought that a class local variable was going to be visible to the
D> Class object and its instance:

well, what difference do you make between @_v and @@v ?

Guy Decoux

Giftzwerg

In article <d36a6cd1-5709-44b1-a96e-
23e83cf2c5ed@j42g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, bostonmyk@gmail.com says...

> Still waiting for you or Giftbag to start making as games instead of
> just talking a good one:)

<sigh>

Not this one again.

You know, I've never opened up a restaurant, either, but that doesn't
stop me from sending back the risotto when I find it has the consistency
of wallpaper paste.

--
Giftzwerg
***

Giftzwerg

In article <e55f3503-4b51-43f0-9cc6-3bd1a996c670
@a6g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>, eddysterckx@hotmail.com says...

> ... and the original author doesn't mind if you point at a certain
> aspect of the game and say "this sucks, because ..." unlike a good
> number of pc wargame developers I know who are unable to deal with to
> the point critique.

And people in groups like this aren't bashful about criticizing
*Napoleon* ... to say nothing about some wargame designer who's stepping
on his own dick.

--
Giftzwerg
***
"Before we let suspect computer models developed by a handful of people
drive the entire world economy into a ditch, don't you think we should
take the covers off and invest a little more time and effort to
thoroughly examine how these models work? Hopefully this will include
analytical critiques from a wider cast of characters than the self
serving cabal whose mendacity and ham-handed attempts to marginalize
dissent were recently exposed."
- Bill Frezza

Holdit

In article <e55f3503-4b51-43f0-9cc6-3bd1a996c670
@a6g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>, eddysterckx@hotmail.com says...

> On 28 dec, 15:32, Bostonmyk <boston...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Still waiting for you or Giftbag to start making as games instead of
> > just talking a good one:)
>
> I help design wargames all the time, they're just not computer
> wargames. Tomorrow we'll have another test run of our Napoleonic grand
> tactical ruleset.

What scale?

Holdit

Cronos

Giftzwerg wrote:
>Not all of them wargames, of course, but
> great stuff nonetheless. And no DRM.

gog.com sells no wargames so you never got any wargames from gog.com.

Cronos

Giftzwerg wrote:

> You know, I've never opened up a restaurant, either, but that doesn't
> stop me from sending back the risotto when I find it has the consistency
> of wallpaper paste.

Risotto is supposed to be like that, dumbass yank; don't order the
risotto in future if you don't like it.

Jim Cobb

Cronos wrote:
> Giftzwerg wrote:
>> Not all of them wargames, of course, but
>> great stuff nonetheless. And no DRM.
>>
> gog.com sells no wargames so you never got any wargames from gog.com.

Combat Mission:Beyond Overlord isn't a wargame?!

Cronos

Jim Cobb wrote:

> Combat Mission:Beyond Overlord isn't a wargame?!

Wow one whole wargame! Where's CMAK? That's the only one I am missing.

Giftzwerg

In article <ba2eb076-deb4-4194-bfd7-
390e43adf8da@r24g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, eddysterckx@hotmail.com
says...

> As a group this ng is a pain-in-the-butt to wargame developers. For us
> the glass isn?t half empty, it?s even the wrong color of glass and the
> water has a minerals imbalance. But in the long run better wargames
> get produced and that's the only thing which matters.

All true. But the theory which holds, "Only those who can do <X> are
qualified to criticize the quality of something produced by someone else
doing <X>" continues to rear its ugly head.

It's surreal. In a forum which can be about little else than criticisms
of historical PC wargames, there's still an element which holds that
such criticism is *a priori* invalid unless it's coming from an
officially-accredited historical PC wargame designer.

Ridiculous.

No. I'm not a filmmaker. And yet, I'm fully qualified to determine
whether MEET THE DEEDLES was an important, worthwhile film.

No. I'm not a chef. And yet, I'm fully qualified to determine whether
the chicken parmigiana was overcooked and rubbery.

No. I'm not an interstate transportation expert. And yet, I'm fully
qualified to determine whether my package arrived undamaged and on time.

And why da fuck is it that I can't seem to avail myself of this theory
in my own job? As head of an IT department, I am frequently subjected
to criticism from salesmen, accountants, technicians, warehousemen, and
hundreds of other workers.

Why is it that I can't answer this criticism with, "Oh? And where did
you get your CS and IT degrees?" Am I the only guy since your cave-
painter who thought that when a salesman tells me, "my workstation is
down," I might want to check into it?

--
Giftzwerg
***
"Before we let suspect computer models developed by a handful of people
drive the entire world economy into a ditch, don't you think we should
take the covers off and invest a little more time and effort to
thoroughly examine how these models work? Hopefully this will include
analytical critiques from a wider cast of characters than the self
serving cabal whose mendacity and ham-handed attempts to marginalize
dissent were recently exposed."
- Bill Frezza

Giftzwerg

In article <740ddfc6-0fb3-4449-8def-31ff052f00a5
@m38g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, bostonmyk@gmail.com says...

> Hmm.. meant it as a compliment as I think you guys know your stuff
> and could make good games. Amazing to see where the two of you took
> that one for a ride though.

Uh-huh. Sure. Gotcha.

--
Giftzwerg