comp.programming.threads

Multi-threaded debugging tools for win32

Joe Seigh

8/4/2004 7:24:00 PM

Any particular tools anyone uses for this besides the vc++
debugger and printf? I'm wondering what's the eqivalent
of pstack which is great for figuring out where a program
is hung up.

Joe Seigh
3 Answers

Brad Long

Dynamic Analysis Tools:

- JProbe Threadalyzer
- jdb

Static Analysis Tools:

- FindBugs
- Bandera
- Jlint

"Joe Seigh" <jseigh_01@xemaps.com> wrote in message
> Any particular tools anyone uses for this besides the vc++
> debugger and printf? I'm wondering what's the eqivalent
> of pstack which is great for figuring out where a program
> is hung up.
>
> Joe Seigh

m_pll

Joe Seigh wrote:

> Any particular tools anyone uses for this besides the vc++
> debugger and printf? I'm wondering what's the eqivalent
> of pstack which is great for figuring out where a program
> is hung up.

cdb/windbg:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/DevTools/Debugging/de...

Less bloated and more powerful than the VC debugger.

cklutz

Joe Seigh <jseigh_01@xemaps.com> wrote in message news:<411139EC.2B41D991@xemaps.com>...
> Any particular tools anyone uses for this besides the vc++
> debugger and printf? I'm wondering what's the eqivalent
> of pstack which is great for figuring out where a program
> is hung up.
>
> Joe Seigh

Hi,

you might want to take a look at the "Debugging Tools for Windows":

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/ddk/debugging/de...

Amongst other things it also contains the command line
"AutodumpPlus" tool which should come pretty close to pstack
(IIRC).

You basically invoke it like this:

adplus ?hang ?p <PID of your process>

It will then generate a stacktrace of the respective process.
It has a number of other options for different scenarios and
can also create so called mini-dumps (if you find them useful).

--
Christian