comp.programming.threads

DCE Threads Compatibility Library

Chi-To Shiu

I am trying to contact the authors of a DCE Threads Compatibility Library
for Linux. The library is a DCE Threads emulation layer on top of POSIX
Threads (pthreads). And the authors are Jim Doyle, John Rousseau, Andrew
Sandoval, and Michael T. Peterson.

I tried to contact them using their email addresses in the code, but those
addresses are no longer valid. Please reply to this message, if you have
any clue on contacting any of them. Appreciate your help.

Thank you,

--Chi-To

2 Answers

Loic Domaigne

Hello Chi-To,

> I am trying to contact the authors of a DCE Threads Compatibility Library
> for Linux. The library is a DCE Threads emulation layer on top of POSIX
> Threads (pthreads). And the authors are Jim Doyle, John Rousseau, Andrew
> Sandoval, and Michael T. Peterson.

DCE threads emulation on Linux has been coded in first place to port the
core DCE - Distributed Computing Environement - to Linux. The project is
known as Freedce...

> I tried to contact them using their email addresses in the code, but those
> addresses are no longer valid. Please reply to this message, if you have
> any clue on contacting any of them. Appreciate your help.

The Freedce project has been lying dormant for years now, and so the
corresponding DCE threads emulation... For the simple reason that DCE
stuff is now considered as a completly dead technology (who needs today
to achieve parallelism with a RPC mechanism where Message Passing does
it so nicely?).

However, feel lucky... Still today, they are some companies that are -
for the good, the bad and the hugly - using DCE stuffs, and even the
freedce stuff. And gee, guess what ;-) I work in such a company.

I have ported DCE threads / Freedce to "recent Linux distro" like Redhat
(v9.0, fedora core 1), SuSE (tested up to v9.0), Debian (woody) etc. The
port works on 32/64 bits architecture (tested so far on intel and alpha).

So, if you feel that I can help you, then please... just tell! If you
like, you can get directly in touch with me. Use the address in the
signature (it assumes that you can compile and run a C program).

Cheers,
Loic.

/* !! Sender address is *buggy* !! */
/* Use my 32/64 bits, ANSI C89, compliant email-address instead. */
unsigned y[]=
{0,34432,26811,16721,41866,63119,61007,48155,26147,10986};
void x(z){putchar(z);}; unsigned t;
main(i){if(i<10){t=(y[i]*47560)%65521;x(t>>8);x(t&255);main(++i);}}

doyle

Chi-To Shiu (chitoshiu@hotmail.com) wrote:
: Hi,

: I am trying to contact the authors of a DCE Threads Compatibility Library
: for Linux. The library is a DCE Threads emulation layer on top of POSIX
: Threads (pthreads). And the authors are Jim Doyle, John Rousseau, Andrew
: Sandoval, and Michael T. Peterson.

I have not posted here since 1998. Further, I have not touched my work
since early 1999 since I have moved on with my life into other things -
mainly hiking, building tube amps, going back to school and mucking
with J2EE. However, this is Jim Doyle - formerly of BU, Open Environment
and BroadVision.

I could answer things as best as I can remember, but the world has
really changed since I was last involved in the DCE.

-- Jim