Where should people who are new to ruby go for help?

vanjac12

11/29/2003 3:56:00 AM

Is this the place for people who are new to ruby to post for help?

My problems are learning problems in practice programs, but I still hit
spots where I need help, and it is always good to get in touch with
other ruby users.

Any suggestions as to places to go, etc. are welcome.

I have been to most of the websites, but am not familiar with them.

This seemed like a good place to start and ask for comments.

Van
5 Answers

Gavin Sinclair

On Saturday, November 29, 2003, 2:57:10 PM, Van wrote:

> Is this the place for people who are new to ruby to post for help?

Sure is.

> My problems are learning problems in practice programs, but I still hit
> spots where I need help, and it is always good to get in touch with
> other ruby users.

> Any suggestions as to places to go, etc. are welcome.

IRC is a good place as well, as you can get a quick response to simple
questions.

I also recommend the Ruby Documentation Bundle, available at
www.ruby-doc.org, as it contains a beginner's guide and several
helpful documents.

Cheers,
Gavin

T. Onoma

On Saturday 29 November 2003 04:57 am, Van Jacques wrote:
> Is this the place for people who are new to ruby to post for help?
>
> My problems are learning problems in practice programs, but I still hit
> spots where I need help, and it is always good to get in touch with
> other ruby users.
>
> Any suggestions as to places to go, etc. are welcome.

If you want to post some code to be looked at, this new wiki page was recently
created:

http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RubyNubyCo...

wayne

vanjac12@yahoo.com (Van Jacques) wrote in message news:<70ae81fd.0311281955.4be5f5a6@posting.google.com>...
> Is this the place for people who are new to ruby to post for help?
>
> My problems are learning problems in practice programs, but I still hit
> spots where I need help, and it is always good to get in touch with
> other ruby users.
>
> Any suggestions as to places to go, etc. are welcome.
>
> I have been to most of the websites, but am not familiar with them.
>
> This seemed like a good place to start and ask for comments.
>
> Van

Is there a #ruby channel on irc.freenode.net? I haven't logged on to
the network in a while, but I thought there was.

Wayne

Zachary P. Landau

> Is there a #ruby channel on irc.freenode.net? I haven't logged on to
> the network in a while, but I thought there was.

Try #ruby-lang. There are currently 81 people there (although many of
them are not very active :P)

--
Zachary P. Landau <kapheine@hypa.net>
GPG: gpg --recv-key 0x24E5AD99 | http://kapheine.hypa.net/ka...

dagbrown

In article <2a897f11.0311282324.2b7cb336@posting.google.com>,
Wayne Pierce <wayne@mishre.com> wrote:
: Is there a #ruby channel on irc.freenode.net? I haven't logged on to
: the network in a while, but I thought there was.

Yup, but it's called #ruby-lang.

--Dave