Re: pre/post question/idea

dblack

Gavin Sinclair

On Friday, November 28, 2003, 3:45:32 PM, David wrote:

> Hi --

> On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Joey Gibson wrote:

>> I much prefer the foo:pre, foo:post way to this. [...]

> [...]
> def x:pre is more eye-catching or distinct, I guess, but I imagine
> there might come a time when one said "Why do pre and post have
> these distinct, eye-catching forms instead of being normal keywords
> like def?" Hard to predict... it's just something that occurs to me.

You might be able to "predict" it by looking at the experiences of
other languages.

It obviously is subjective. I'm, 100% with Joey on this one. Since
it's subjective, I won't bother trying to explain why :)

Gavin

Cronos

eddysterckx@hotmail.com wrote:

> The day I see Mohawks advancing in a nice column formation in a hex
> based dice game is the day I agree with you.

It's up to you to change the formation, dumbass, you are the commander.
I bet most of those old boardgames you play don't even have formations,
just stacks of chits with abstract numbers representing force strength.

eddysterckx@hotmail.com

On 22 dec, 00:40, Oleg Mastruko <oleg@_REMOVE_bug.hr> wrote:

>         TW games are very very complex with LOTS of number crunching
> going behind the screen.

Garbage in, garbage out ?

>         So, your Mohawks, while they may appear to advance in line,

.... and thereby killing your entire "realism" argument.

> will
> be **visibly** less coherent than European line infantry,

Oh, great, they act like brittle European line infantry.

>         Funny how no one ever mentions some very visible realism based
> improvements like f.e. modelling fatigue? Most period games I know
> don't model fatigue

What games have you been playing ? Even the HPS Napoleonic
Battleground games model fatigue.

> (now don't mention some that do, I know they
> exist).

I'll turn it around : name me one Napoleonic tactical/operational
wargame which *doesn't* model fatigue.

> beyond that line, though, it's up to the modders to tweak the engine,
> and boy tweaked it they did...

So basically you agree that a TW game right out of the box is a piece
of crap and that it's only saved by the grace of modders. Did modders
succeed in making Mohawks act like they did IRL ?

>         I don't know of any PC based tactical game more realistic than
> modded RTW and especially M2TW for their respective periods. Prove me
> wrong if you can.

So basically your take on it is that they're the best currently
available on the computer.

Fair enough and certainly a hard point to argue given the lamentable
state of ancient/medieval warfare on the pc - in contrast to what's
available in the tabletop world.

My take on it is that so far *most* ancient/medieval games on the
computer sucked, that's why I'm so much looking forward to Rob
Pollard's Ancient Armies

http://www.ancientarmies.c...

He's got the basics correct. It 300% less pretty than RTW, but we
talked about Roman tactics in here with him the developers of the TW
have never even heard of.

>(I am no expert at antique warfare gaming so I
> readily admit there could be good games there, that I don't know of.)

Not really. The Tin Soldiers games were certainly not bad, with a good
AI, and the pc version of Cry Havoc was done extremely well, but the
recent adaptation of the hit tabletop ruleset Field of Glory to the pc
left me totally cold.

So, yeah, I can understand it when wargamers call the TW series fun,
with amazing graphics, but underneath it's just as far removed from
the historical reality of the time as hex based dice games.

If you really want to take a look at ancient warfare and wargaming my
recommendation is you pick up a copy of the rulesets of Warhammer
Ancient Battles or Field of Glory. The day they make a faithfull pc
conversion of those rules is the day you ditch TW games.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

eddysterckx@hotmail.com

On 23 dec, 00:21, Oleg Mastruko <oleg@_REMOVE_bug.hr> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 23:40:14 -0800 (PST), "eddyster...@hotmail.com"
>
> <eddyster...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >>         TW games are very very complex with LOTS of number crunching
> >> going behind the screen.
>
> >Garbage in, garbage out ?
>
>         Your opinion, prolly based on Internet bullshit

Nope, based on that game trailer where troops where firing *through*
ranks in front of them to enemy troops beyond.

> and the fact
> that the game actually looks nice (an unforgivable no no for some
> grognard circles),

Not for me - I like good graphics - I wish all wargames had good
graphics.

> and sells good (an even bigger no no for grogs).

Again not my reason to dislike the game

> >Oh, great, they act like brittle European line infantry.
>
>         No they do not.

The real question is : do they act like the Mohawks historically did ?
And the answer is a resounding no, thereby pretty much destroying your
"oh, but the game is soooo historical" claim.

> >What games have you been playing ? Even the HPS Napoleonic
> >Battleground games model fatigue.
>
>         Then go play HPS crap and enjoy yourself!

Weird. I thought it was you who claimed that "no other period wargame
on the market models fatigue" - while it was my argument that even
crappy HPS games modeled fatigue and it was up to you to provide a
single period wargame which *didn't* model fatigue. <looks around for
such an example> seems like you failed, so there goes your claim about
the TW game.

> >So basically you agree that a TW game right out of the box is a piece
> >of crap and that it's only saved by the grace of modders.
>
>         No.
>
>         Besides, Eddy, you do really REALLY bad Giftz role playing
> routine. I suggest you just let Giftz be Giftz and switch to some
> other role.

You made claims. I countered them and asked you to provide proof. It's
not my fault that you like the game so much that it blinds your
judgement.

>         Other than that, we may discuss the fact (or hypothesis) that
> most modern games do rely on some sort of community effort to really
> succeed, or merely survive.

Most wargames try to get that sort of thing started - and most
wargames released today fail at it. There simply isn't the mass
anymore needed for a vibrant mod community except for very, very, very
good games.

>         So yes, for Rome TW I do agree the game was piece of crap outta
> box (it's a long story though), but it was eventually modded to almost
> perfection (we probably won't agree there).

I wouldn't know - you have to be in love with the base game to even
bother following the mod scene - I don't in this case - given limited
time I prefer to put it into following the mod scene of games that
appeal to me straight away. That's why I post about mods for
Commander : Europe at War, but not about mods for the TW series.

If someone else is convinced that particular mods really elevate the
base game to "real wargame" standard he's free to post about it in
here and I might investigate it. But blank claims about the TW series
being sooo superior to anything we play ain't gonna fly.

>         Medieval 2 TW was pretty fine right outta box, and it was
> furhter modded to best medieval wargame I know of.

In the land of the blind ...

>         Empire TW... is more complex... right outta box it had
> completely broken diplomatic model - something we don't discuss here
> anyway, as we are commenting only tactical battles.

Usually pretty much every aspect of a game is discussed here in my
experience.

> The problem is on the other side of the fence: some
> people can't forgive TW series being pretty and actually successfull.
>
>         Being "pretty" does not make any game necesarilly bad, you know.

I think you'll have a mighty hard time coming up with a post of mine
in which I diss good graphics or successful games just because of
those reasons.

>         Tin Soldiers were really really bad. That one I actually tried.
> Developers seemed like a nice bunch of boardgame-obsessed dudes who
> got the PC by some chance, so I refused to write bad review for my
> local magazine, but hell it was bad.

Huh ? The Tin Soldiers series was a *tabletop* system transfered to
the pc, not a boardgame. And when you got stuck in you couldn't help
but notice the AI was pretty sharp and agressive.

I've always played boardgames and tabletop wargames which has made me
accutely aware of the limitations of pc wargames, especially when it
comes to accurately portraying period tactics. This experience, more
than anything else, makes me look at the E:TW trailer, shake my head,
and pick up my copy of Black Powder or Shako and mumble "amateurs" and
I think that you would too if you widened your horizon beyond pc based
wargames.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

eddysterckx@hotmail.com

On 23 dec, 01:37, Oleg Mastruko <oleg@_REMOVE_bug.hr> wrote:

>         I can understand all sorts of wargames, hexes, no hexes, real
> time, boardgames, monster games, PC, no PC, you name it, but
> miniatures.... those guys are kinda freaky.

In my experience they know more about the real tactics and strategies
used in a particular period than anyone else. I figure that makes them
freaks in the eyes of those who think that the blob vs blob melee
warfare of the TW series is the pinnacle of wargaming.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Cronos

eddysterckx@hotmail.com wrote:

> In my experience they know more about the real tactics and strategies
> used in a particular period than anyone else. I figure that makes them
> freaks in the eyes of those who think that the blob vs blob melee
> warfare of the TW series is the pinnacle of wargaming.

A miniatures game is about as realistic to real warfare as a game of
chess, not very.

Cronos

eddysterckx@hotmail.com wrote:

> I've always played boardgames and tabletop wargames which has made me
> accutely aware of the limitations of pc wargames, especially when it
> comes to accurately portraying period tactics. This experience, more
> than anything else, makes me look at the E:TW trailer, shake my head,
> and pick up my copy of Black Powder or Shako and mumble "amateurs" and
> I think that you would too if you widened your horizon beyond pc based
> wargames.
>
> Greetz,
>
> Eddy Sterckx

If we took up board wargames we would have to play against Eddy Sterckx
clones, uh, no thank you.

eddysterckx@hotmail.com

On 23 dec, 10:19, Holdit <holdi...@SPAMindigoPLEASE.ie> wrote:
> In article <hgsj32$1b...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> cro...@sphere.invalid says...
>
> > eddyster...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > > In my experience they know more about the real tactics and strategies
> > > used in a particular period than anyone else. I figure that makes them
> > > freaks in the eyes of those who think that the blob vs blob melee
> > > warfare of the TW series is the pinnacle of wargaming.
>
> > A miniatures game is about as realistic to real warfare as a game of
> > chess, not very.
>
> Explain why.

Because George compares the big explosions in war movies on his tv to
the big explosions provided by his kiddie pc wargame and concludes
that these better model the reality of war than tabletop wargames he's
once seen a picture of on some website.

The reality is that tabletop wargames do have serious limitations and
handicaps, but correct period tactics and historicity are just the
main strengths of tabletop wargaming.

They are designed for effect so that correct tactics for the period
result in correct battlefield results and visuals. It's got to look
and feel right and be historically correct before a tabletop wargamer
concludes a ruleset is any good.

PC wargamers ain't that picky, mostly because of the scarcity of good
pc wargame designs to start with.

That said, I've got no trouble saying that when a really good pc
wargame design comes along it *trounces* comparable tabletop and board
wargames. There's nothing in those worlds which can stand up against
games like Highway to the Reich for instance.

And the pc has got other strengths too - for instance a ready opponent
and a vast amount of available scenarios for a given system like TOAW
or the Campaign Series.

So what I would like pc wargames to focus on is to play to those
strengths and try to remedy the problem areas. Translated this means :
provide a really good AI, provide lots of scenarios, avoid design
abominations like hexes for linear warfare periods etc.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Cronos

eddysterckx@hotmail.com wrote:

> Because George compares the big explosions in war movies on his tv to
> the big explosions provided by his kiddie pc wargame and concludes
> that these better model the reality of war than tabletop wargames he's
> once seen a picture of on some website.

Isn't tabletop miniatures where you have hand painted lead soldiers and
knock the opponents soldiers over with your hand and shout "boom! Your
dead." I stopped playing with plastic soldiers when I was about ten
years old. Haven't you outgrown it yet?

eddysterckx@hotmail.com

On 23 dec, 12:48, Giftzwerg <giftzwerg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> In article <7b49451a-8e91-491e-ac81-308a1ca7d895
> @z41g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>, eddyster...@hotmail.com says...
>
> > >         I can understand all sorts of wargames, hexes, no hexes, real
> > > time, boardgames, monster games, PC, no PC, you name it, but
> > > miniatures.... those guys are kinda freaky.
>
> > In my experience they know more about the real tactics and strategies
> > used in a particular period than anyone else. I figure that makes them
> > freaks in the eyes of those who think that the blob vs blob melee
> > warfare of the TW series is the pinnacle of wargaming.
>
> When I want to know some detail of Cold War Soviet armor, I don't
> consult Janes - I ask my father-in-law; he's an armor modeler and detail
> freak.  Janes shows you a picture of a T-62 with East German markings,
> my father-in-law can tell you chapter and verse about the modifications
> the East Germans made to the thing.
>
> It's always easy to abstract detail *that you're aware of*, and harder
> to get things right when you're abstracting from ignorance.

We've played a couple of (tabletop) games of Cold War Commander and
I'm 99% sure the army lists in there make a difference between a plain
Russian T-62 and a GDR one.

It's pretty simple for tabletop guys : if it made a difference on the
battlefield it should make a difference in the ruleset. It works the
other way around too : in Napoleonic times the difference between
light infantry and regular line infantry mostly vanished - so most
rulesets don't differentiate between the two anymore. Design for
historical effect to the n-th degree.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx