Re: Method wrapping

Christoph R.

11/27/2003 10:21:00 PM

Peter wrote:
> > This will probably be illegal since wrapper arity differs from the
> > primary arity.
>
> Oh... Is there any specific reason for that? But now you got
> me wondering, are you saying then that the signatures must
> match exactly (like the number of arguments with default
> values, whether it's variable-length, ...)? That sounds

That was my reading of Matz announcement at least for
the arity part. Personally I don't see a need for matching
default arguments (in fact any default arguments) since
they could be automatically supplied by the primary method
but you have ask Matz for the definite opinion.

> restrictive... But then again, what's the intention of those wrappers?

/Christoph

1 Answer

matz

In message "Re: Method wrapping"
on 03/11/28, "Christoph" <chr_mail@gmx.net> writes:

|> > This will probably be illegal since wrapper arity differs from the
|> > primary arity.
|>
|> Oh... Is there any specific reason for that? But now you got
|> me wondering, are you saying then that the signatures must
|> match exactly (like the number of arguments with default
|> values, whether it's variable-length, ...)? That sounds
|
|That was my reading of Matz announcement at least for
|the arity part. Personally I don't see a need for matching
|default arguments (in fact any default arguments) since
|they could be automatically supplied by the primary method
|but you have ask Matz for the definite opinion.

I didn't say anything about arity matching of method combination.
Personally, I feel like there's no need to add explicit arity match.

matz.