Re: Method wrapping

Peter

eddysterckx@hotmail.com

On 17 dec, 10:49, Giftzwerg <giftzwerg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> In article <18c260e8-d853-48e4-b0ec-
> fd3199d4c...@s20g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, eddyster...@hotmail.com
> says...
>
> > > Two points:
>
> > > (1)  It's impossible to discuss Iraq without having some squeaky retard
> > > pop up and start bawling about how "Chimpy Bushitler Lied Us Into War
> > > (TM)."
>
> > That's why killfiles were invented :)
>
> True enough, but in the current context, the moment the word "Bush"
> appears in the thread, any opportunity to discuss a military aspect of
> Iraq or Afghanistan collapses into a worthless morass of lefty talking-
> points.
>
> It was the same with Vietnam for years.  Only in the last decade or so
> has it been possible to discuss the US war effort without a lot of
> pointless blabber about "Johnson!" and "Nixon!"

So it's a time/distance thing. Ok, we'll talk about the finer points
of the diversionary tactics used at Fallujah in 2030 :)

> > > Some (most) of us are just weary about going over the
> > > same pointless ground, particularly since President Clodhopper has
> > > changed exactly *none* of Bush's policies
>
> > It's quite sad that guys who ooze integrity and honesty absolutely
> > flatly refuse to get into politics and much that is wrong with the
> > world today is due to the mediocre guys calling the shots.
>
> > For instance : one wonders what a guy like Colin Powell would do if he
> > ever could be persuaded to run for president.
>
> I'm not as impressed by Powell as I might be.  He was a little too
> "finger in the wind" during both the original Gulf War and the post-9/11
> regime change effort.  And I always had the sneaking suspicion that he
> was one of those generals who thought that the best way to have a strong
> military was never to use it.

... or only when really necessary.

"War should be the politics of last resort. And when we go to war, we
should have a purpose that our people understand and support"

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Briarroot

eddysterckx@hotmail.com wrote:

> It's quite sad that guys who ooze integrity and honesty absolutely
> flatly refuse to get into politics and much that is wrong with the
> world today is due to the mediocre guys calling the shots.
>
> For instance : one wonders what a guy like Colin Powell would do if he
> ever could be persuaded to run for president.

I think Powell would have looked a lot like John McCain: a Democrat
wearing a hat that that read "Republican" ;-)

--
"Someday this country will have a health-care debate that's not abject
in its idiocy. President Barack Obama made a 'public option' his

What's left is a package of 'reforms' that are mere trite extensions of
what we've been doing for decades. That is, piling up mandates on
private insurers and then lying that this somehow isn't driving up the
cost of health insurance; piling up subsidies for health consumption and
then lying that this somehow isn't responsible for runaway health-care
spending." - Holman W. Jenkins Jr., The Wall Street Journal