Re: Ruby advertisement article [Computerwoche]

Lennie DeVilliers

11/27/2003 2:38:00 PM

Sorry guys, sent the message by mistake (Ctrl + Enter) before finnishing my
comments.

Ruby is an interpreter language, we're running it on a Linux server... I
dont know if there's a compiler avialable (?) Actually that doesnt matter to
me as Ruby runs very fast.

>- Is it possible to create distributable binaries that don't require
> a Ruby installation?

Check code written 10/20 yrs ago! Code at that stage was COMPLETELLY
unreadable.
You can write obfuscate code in any programming language.

>- Is it possible to obfuscate code so that it is no longer readable
> (that question did come up elsewhere when C# was fresh and someone
> wrote a tool that created quite readable C# code from CLI
> instructions).

I guest that depends on the business facts.

>- How to deal with the choice between two licenses?

Very! I wrote the server scripts on my MS Win 2000 PC and they ran without
making *any* changes on our Linux server.

>- How portable are Programs written in Ruby?

For decades Perl & Python was use on Linux, Ruby isnt so old but in
comparision with those I say Perl have the most docs, then Ruby, then
Python.

>- How does Ruby compare to Perl and Python in terms of availability
> of libraries available books, other documentation and libraries?

I once ported a C++ app over to a Ruby script, the script is running *much*
faster in comparison.
Even if its a interpreted language the speed isnt a question.

>- Why switch from a compiled language to an interpreted language?

Lennie De Villiers

1 Answer

gabriele renzi

il Thu, 27 Nov 2003 23:37:57 +0900, Lennie DeVilliers
<Lennie@kwikpay.co.za> ha scritto::

>Check code written 10/20 yrs ago! Code at that stage was COMPLETELLY
>unreadable.
>You can write obfuscate code in any programming language.

this is not about obfuscated code (I think).
It is more an issue as 'How do I force my user to buy a license key?'
If they can easily crak hexcode->asm they would be happier with a
source based stuff..

Java bytecode, for example, can be decompiled and cracked very esaily
, but there are tools to avoid this.

Dunno about ruby :/