Problem installing ruby-libxml

sera

11/26/2003 11:49:00 PM

Hi, I'm trying to install ruby-libxml and not having any luck. I
should preface my post by saying that my understanding of how Unix
libraries work is pretty sad, so please feel free to point me to some
resource (web page, man page, book, etc.) that I could use to figure
this out.

Anyway, here's what happens when I try to install ruby-libxml:

$ ruby extconf.rb
checking for atan() in -lm... yes
checking for inflate() in -lz... yes
checking for iconv_open() in -liconv... no
checking for iconv_open() in -lc... no
checking for iconv_open() in -lrecode... no
extconf failure: need libiconv

But I have definitely already installed libiconv, in fact when I look
in /usr/local/lib I see:

/usr/local/lib/libiconv.2.2.0.dylib
/usr/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
/usr/local/lib/libiconv.dylib
/usr/local/lib/libiconv.la

Any hints as to what I should try next would be much appreciated.

Francis