Re: Date Class and GMT

Zach Dennis

11/26/2003 5:02:00 PM

Thank you very much Mark!

Zach

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark J. Reed [mailto:markjreed@mail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 11:47 AM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Re: Date Class and GMT

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 04:39:45PM +0000, Mark J. Reed wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 01:31:08AM +0900, Zach Dennis wrote:
> > I need to be able to return the zone by it's numeric representation(
> > i.e. -0500 ). Like

Oh, it turns out that instead of using DateTime, you can just use the %z
specifier to strftime.

irb(main):001:0> n=Time.now
=> Wed Nov 26 11:41:51 EST 2003
irb(main):002:0> n.zone
=> "EST"
irb(main):003:0> n.strftime("%Z")
=> "EST"
irb(main):004:0> n.strftime("%z")
=> "-0500"
irb(main):005:0> n.strftime("%a %b %d %H:%M:%S %z %Y")
=> "Wed Nov 26 11:41:51 -0500 2003"

-Mark

1 Answer

Behemoth

On Sep 17, 1:09 pm, "Magnus, Robot Fighter" <M...@Key.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> >> I've found that I'm enjoying the PvP aspect more than I thought I
> >> would, although this is only when grouped with my friends, since there
> >> isn't any real strategy otherwise (even in the premades I sometimes
> >> find myself in, apparently).  It's enjoyable to organize, and execute,
> >> our own goals (e.g. take back North Bunker).
>
> >> I've decided that I won't be purchasing the expansion.  That would be
> >> a good place to quit, since the only option, at that point, is to
> >> start the grind all over again.
>
> >> I've never played WoW for the MMO reason, except for the fact that I
> >> like to group with a few select friends.  I thought (and still think)
> >> WoW is a great game on its own.  Overall, the other players are
> >> irritants, to be honest, but not so much to ruin my enjoyment of the
> >> game (except in a bad PUG perhaps).
>
> >> I am probably one of those players that I often hear told to play a
> >> FPS, which got me thinking.
>
> >> Is there a game that provides the PvP (for lack of a better
> >> description) experience, while allowing for interaction with my
> >> friends?  Before WoW, I played Medal of Honor briefly, which I really
> >> enjoyed.  Even now, I recall enjoying the combat even more that what I
> >> get in BGs currently, due to the varied objectives.
>
> >> When I played MoH, I would connect with GameSpy.  Obviously, at that
> >> point, I could chat with my friends, but I assume there isn't
> >> something of a virtual world, where I could chat with them, otherwise?
>
> >> My goal is to fight other players, but we would all be on a level
> >> playing field.  I wouldn't have to play for 40 hours, just to get a
> >> piece of armor, so I wouldn't feel the *need* to.
>
> >> Can anyone recommend a multiplayer FPS that fulfills these
> >> requirements?  I just decided last night to go this route, and have
> >> looked only briefly at one (Crysis Warhead).  I'm sure I will find
> >> something soon, but I was hoping this group could help.
>
> >> (Note: this isn't a WoW bashing post.  I've been playing since before
> >> BC, I still enjoy the game (and may even come back to it), but it's
> >> been taking too much of my time.  I'd like something I could play for
> >> 15 minutes, knowing that my character wouldn't do just a bit more
> >> better, if I spent more time "upgrading" him!)
>
> >hmm as FPS's go you can try Battlefield 2 (it's like MoH in that it's
> >army based) gear in that game is gradually earned and new gear is
> >unlocked when you recent a certain level you can gain and keep ranks
> >such as Lieutenant or what not in that game as well
>
> If you don't mind playing with people that have hacks and can do six
> foot vertical leaps wearing 75 pounds of equipment. Bunny hop bunny
> hop bunny hop
>
> My favorite part of that game is when you come up behind someone who
> doesn't see you...bunny hopside strafe circle circle=you dead. Love
> it. Me? bitter? nahhhhh
>
> Ghost Recon was the best fps. People moved like real people and when
> you shot someone, they died.- Hide quoted text -

that's true there are some cheaters in Counter-strike .. it's what I
feel is ruining some people's play time

but it's not a huge impact as if you find someone that is either
totally cheating or you get frustrated you just move to another server
and it's a new game all over again

though that game if you play for awhile get good then quit and come
back later .. you'll find you have to practise all over again because
you're rusty it's one of those games you have to play off and on to
keep your aim accurate, but it doesn't require you to play constantly
as their's no reward other then just a score in a server