REXML XML Schema Data Types

Sacha Schlegel

11/26/2003 2:35:00 PM

Hi Ruby Friends

Thanks to Sean about REXML it realy does a fine job.

Having to deal with XML Instance Documents I mainyl find myself getting
the value or text of an element or attribute and work (read, compare)
with it. So what I get is a ruby string.

XML Schema provides "lots" of built in data types, such as string, date,
time etc.

Also derived types from string where user can set facets, such as having
white spaces collapsed ("abc def" will be the same as "abc def" for
example).

Are there any attempts to support these a) built in data types and b)
provide means to support derived data types?

I think REXML is not there, yet.

Anyone using libxml binding or similar bindings for XML Schema specific
jobs?

Kind regards.

Sacha

Sacha Schlegel
4 Warwick Str, 6102 St. James, Perth, Australia
sacha@schlegel.li www.schlegel.li
public key: www.schlegel.li/sacha.gpg

James Britt

Sacha Schlegel wrote:
> Are there any attempts to support these a) built in data types and b)
> provide means to support derived data types?

I beleive Sean is considering (or maybe working on) adding RELAX NG
support. Don't recall offhand about W3C XML Schemas

> I think REXML is not there, yet.

Well that depends on where "there" is.

But, yes, an option for using a DTD or schema of some sort would be nice.

James