[OT] For science fiction fans...

Hal E. Fulton

11/25/2003 9:00:00 PM

For those who care about such things, I have a short story
online now at http://WouldThat...

This is a zine devoted to "Victorian" or historical SF. It's
not totally where my passions lie, but I'm liking it more
and more...

Cheers,
Hal

6 Answers

T. Onoma

On Tuesday 25 November 2003 09:59 pm, Hal Fulton wrote:
> For those who care about such things, I have a short story
> online now at http://WouldThat...
>
> This is a zine devoted to "Victorian" or historical SF. It's
> not totally where my passions lie, but I'm liking it more
> and more...

Nice Hal.

(Don't want to give too mcuh away)

So Edison only bought us a little? But what was Tesla's fault?

In reality, how much is in this, I mean did Edison and Tulsa every *really*
work togther? I must admit I know little about thier personal histories.

Anyway, thanks for the good read, I got one of those nice smirks at the end
that sort of says "gotcha ya".

-t0

P.S. A Promising Outerlimits?

gabriele renzi

il Wed, 26 Nov 2003 05:59:59 +0900, Hal Fulton
<hal9000@hypermetrics.com> ha scritto::

>For those who care about such things, I have a short story
>online now at http://WouldThat...
>
>This is a zine devoted to "Victorian" or historical SF. It's
>not totally where my passions lie, but I'm liking it more
>and more...

cool, strangely enough this is not the first time I read some
steam-science-fiction with Tesla in it.
Hal, well this is

wait: you have a cat called megabyte?

Hal E. Fulton

T. Onoma wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 November 2003 09:59 pm, Hal Fulton wrote:
>
>>For those who care about such things, I have a short story
>>online now at http://WouldThat...
>>
>>This is a zine devoted to "Victorian" or historical SF. It's
>>not totally where my passions lie, but I'm liking it more
>>and more...
>

> Nice Hal.
>
> (Don't want to give too mcuh away)
>
> So Edison only bought us a little? But what was Tesla's fault?

Actually, I have no idea what was going on behind the scenes. I figured
the reader's imagination there was as good as mine.

> In reality, how much is in this, I mean did Edison and Tulsa every *really*
> work togther? I must admit I know little about thier personal histories.

I don't know much either, but aside from the obvious fictional
elements, it's pretty factual. They did work together when Tesla
was young. The _Oregon_ incident is factual. Edison and Tesla
did have violent disagreements (where time has often proved
Edison to be wrong, e.g., favoring DC over AC). Tesla did leave
Edison after Edison cheated him (or so I've read).

Of course, half of what you hear about the man is myth anyway.

Hal

Hal E. Fulton

gabriele renzi wrote:
> il Wed, 26 Nov 2003 05:59:59 +0900, Hal Fulton
> <hal9000@hypermetrics.com> ha scritto::
>

>>For those who care about such things, I have a short story
>>online now at http://WouldThat...
>>
>>This is a zine devoted to "Victorian" or historical SF. It's
>>not totally where my passions lie, but I'm liking it more
>>and more...
>>

> cool, strangely enough this is not the first time I read some
> steam-science-fiction with Tesla in it.
> Hal, well this is

:) This is what? Take it to email, no one else is interested...

> wait: you have a cat called megabyte?

I do indeed, usually called "Meg." She's the brains of the
household.

Hmm, I should have that bio updated, it's from the first story
I wrote for WTIW. The "upcoming book" that it mentions is
actually TRW, of course.

Hal

Joey Gibson

On 11/25/2003 10:47 PM, Hal Fulton wrote:

> I don't know much either, but aside from the obvious fictional
> elements, it's pretty factual. They did work together when Tesla
> was young. The _Oregon_ incident is factual. Edison and Tesla
> did have violent disagreements (where time has often proved
> Edison to be wrong, e.g., favoring DC over AC). Tesla did leave
> Edison after Edison cheated him (or so I've read).

And on Laurie Anderson's first record, United States Live (actually _4_
records) she had a song called 'Dance of Electricity.' She introduced
the song with some info about Tesla vs. Edison and about how Edison
would travel around the country telling everyone about the evils of AC.
He would take a dog with him, would connect two leads to the dog's ears
and turn on the current to show how easily AC could kill. I don't know
if that's true or not, but that's history according to Laurie Anderson.

She goes on to say that the song's bean is derived from a dance, 'an
involuntary dance' that you do when you finger goes into a light socket.
The actual music is contained on the next track entitled 'Three Songs
for Paper, Film and Video.'

Not that this has anything to do with anything...

--
Never trust a girl with your mother's cow
never let your trousers go falling down in the green grass...

http://www.joeygibso...
http://www.joeygibso.../life/Wisdom.html

Rasputin

* Joey Gibson <joey@joeygibson.com> [1114 04:14]:
> On 11/25/2003 10:47 PM, Hal Fulton wrote:
>
> >I don't know much either, but aside from the obvious fictional
> >elements, it's pretty factual. They did work together when Tesla
> >was young. The _Oregon_ incident is factual. Edison and Tesla
> >did have violent disagreements (where time has often proved
> >Edison to be wrong, e.g., favoring DC over AC). Tesla did leave
> >Edison after Edison cheated him (or so I've read).
>

> And on Laurie Anderson's first record, United States Live (actually _4_
> records) she had a song called 'Dance of Electricity.' She introduced
> the song with some info about Tesla vs. Edison and about how Edison
> would travel around the country telling everyone about the evils of AC.
> He would take a dog with him, would connect two leads to the dog's ears
> and turn on the current to show how easily AC could kill. I don't know
> if that's true or not, but that's history according to Laurie Anderson.

Edison was also responsible for electric chairs running on A/C, according to
'Man Out Of Time'. Now *that's* FUD.

Top story, Hal!

--
To be intoxicated is to feel sophisticated but not be able to say it.