Re: learning the "Ruby way"

Mills Thomas (app1tam)

11/24/2003 5:21:00 PM

Oh, certainly. I would do it at work, but it is verboten. My only
work-related attachment to Ruby is making sure I know it (I'm expected to
"know" stuff, even if I don't do it).

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: Chad Fowler [mailto:chad@chadfowler.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2003 1:29 PM
To: ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org
Subject: Re: learning the "Ruby way"

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Mark Wirdnam wrote:

# **Hobby-programmer alarm**
#

May excellent suggestions have been made, so I won't bore you with my
attempt. But, I wanted to say, "Welcome Hobby Programmer!"

I'm paid to do IT work, but I have increasingly moved my programming
activities into the land of hobby-dom, where I tend to enjoy them more. I
find Ruby to be an *excellent* language for hobbyists (as well as
enterprise users).

Are there other strict hobbyists on the list?

Chad

1 Answer

Robert Klemme

"Mills Thomas (app1tam)" <app1tam@ups.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Oh, certainly. I would do it at work, but it is verboten.

You have a rule that explicitely bans Ruby? Wow! ;-)

So even if Ruby would make your life easier, you couldn't use it? Darn...

> My only
> work-related attachment to Ruby is making sure I know it (I'm expected
> "know" stuff, even if I don't do it).

Sounds like a kind of technology watch job.

Cheers

robert