ruby-dev summary 21883-21927

Takaaki Tateishi

11/24/2003 2:55:00 PM

Hello,

This is a summary of ruby-dev mailing list last week.

ruby-dev:21883-21927

[ruby-dev:21883] right hand Regexp
Koji Arai proposed a method Object#=~ so that we can write
a Regexp object on the right hand as follows.

obj =~ /foo/

In his opinion, if 'obj' responds to 'to_str', the above code
has the same meaning as the following one.

obj.to_str =~ /foo/

Matz refused the proposal, since he thought that 'to_str' should
be used to convert a parameter passed to a method and we should
prepare an object with all methods of String if we want to
consider it a String object.
He then proposed a module which provides an object with a set of
methods of String if the object has to_str.

[ruby-dev:21902] [Oniguruma] version 1.9.5
Kosako informed us the new version of Onigruma.

[ruby-dev:21911] how to call ruby from multiple native threads
Shugo Maeda posted a part of mod_ruby sources to show how to
use functions of ruby from multiple native threads.
In his implementation, he uses a queue by which function calls
from each native thread are forwarded to a native thread for ruby.

[ruby-dev:21925] CGI#read_multipart raises NoMethodError
Akira Yamada posted something like a bug of cgi.rb. In this
talk, Matz wrote two issues about cgi.rb which he heard in
Ruby Conference.
- It is hard to know if a received data format is multipart.
* One solution is to wrap it with something which behaves
like String.
- It is hard to know if a received data is a kind of
StringIO or a Tempfile.
* One proposal is to convert a StringIO object to a
Tempfile object when calling the 'local_path' method.

--
Takaaki Tateishi <ttate@ttsky.net>

1 Answer

Takaaki Tateishi

At Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:54:50 +0900,
> This is a summary of ruby-dev mailing list last week.
the week before last.
--
Takaaki Tateishi <ttate@ttsky.net>