Re: Using Vruby instead of VB ?

Steve Tuckner

11/23/2003 8:21:00 PM

VRuby/Swin

> 2. Interface with MS Access (possibly with MS SQL Server2K in future)

DBI/ODBC

> 3. Print reports in landscape and portrait mode

Chad Folwer has covered that with his link to ruby-talk

> 4. Run only on one machine (no networking etc)

Simple

> With Steve Tuckner, Dan Berger, Park Heesob and many other Win / Ruby
> experts on my side, I feel like taking the risk ;-)
>
> What do Rubyists have to say ? Any gotchas I need to be aware of ?
>
> -- shanko

The main gotcha you have to worry about is the ruby thread suck up all the
time issue.

I will try to get a version of VRTools available soon so that you can use
it.

Steve Tuckner

1 Answer

Shashank Date

"Steve Tuckner" <STUCKNER@MULTITECH.COM> wrote in message

> The main gotcha you have to worry about is the ruby thread suck up all the
> time issue.

I remember you mentioning about this during your presentation, but I did not
undertsand it fully then.
I also read your explanation in ruby-talk #85998 (to which David Garamond
correctly replied in
ruby-talk # 86070). I do not see any evidence of this when I run a small
test application say like this:
#-----------------------------------------
#
# Using vruby-031110
# Using vrswin-030906
#

require 'vr/vruby'
require 'vr/vrcontrol'

class MyForm <VRForm
def construct
self.caption="Hello World"
self.move(300,200,250,200)
addControl(VRButton,"btn1","&Exit",80,50,80,40)
end

def btn1_clicked
messageBox "Button Pushed"
exit

VRLocalScreen.showForm(MyForm)
VRLocalScreen.messageloop

Evidently I am missing something (or it could be that the author fixed it in
the recent version).

> I will try to get a version of VRTools available soon so that you can use
> it.

That would be awesome ! Looking forward ...

> Steve Tuckner

Thanks Steve.
-- shanko