Threads falling apart

Robert Klemme

11/20/2003 5:28:00 PM

Hi folks,

recently my NR often fails to put news threads together. Is it just my NR
or is there still something wrong with the News <-> Mail gateway?

I guess, connected with this are header lines that look like this (just an
excerpt)

Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 01:48:25 +0900
From: dblack@wobblini.net
Subject: Re: learning the "Ruby way"
<Pine.LNX.4.44.0311201150530.4491-100000@ool-4355dfae.dyn.optonline.net>
<Pine.LNX.4.44.0311201137580.4435-100000@ool-4355dfae.dyn.optonline.net>

The subject like looks a bit odd to me, especially the <Pine...> items are
unlikely to belong there. Maybe some header line is missing there?

Good night

robert

2 Answers

ts

R> recently my NR often fails to put news threads together. Is it just my NR
R> or is there still something wrong with the News <-> Mail gateway?

Probably a problem with the gateway

R> Subject: Re: learning the "Ruby way"
R> <Pine.LNX.4.44.0311201150530.4491-100000@ool-4355dfae.dyn.optonline.net>
R> <Pine.LNX.4.44.0311201137580.4435-100000@ool-4355dfae.dyn.optonline.net>

The original message is

To: ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org (ruby-talk ML)

See the newline after Message-Id: and In-Reply-To:

Guy Decoux

daz

"ts" wrote:

> R> recently my NR often fails to put news threads together. Is it just my NR
> R> or is there still something wrong with the News <-> Mail gateway?
>
> Probably a problem with the gateway
>
> See the newline after Message-Id: and In-Reply-To:
>

> Guy Decoux

Right. The format is valid but presents an edge case.

<From http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rf... >
2.1.1. Line Length Limits
Each line of characters MUST be no more than 998 characters,
and SHOULD be no more than 78 characters, excluding the CRLF.
</>

Message id's can be long and can't wrap, so the mail agent raising
the problem has given the best possible chance of avoiding a
"disastrous wrap" by starting with a CRLF.

Meanwhile everyone else's mail/news agents are flouting the
recommendations by sending lines of more than 78 characters
without a care in the world.

IMHO they're lucky that email isn't transmitted on punch cards.

Herr Oelkers will look into it :-)

daz