Children of WebObjects

Martin DeMello

11/20/2003 12:13:00 PM

Is there a definitive roundup somewhere of WebObjects-inspired
frameworks? I'm using Tapestry at work, and really liking it, and I want
to check out the Ruby equivalents for personal projects.

martin
7 Answers

gabriele renzi

il Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:13:08 GMT, Martin DeMello
<martindemello@yahoo.com> ha scritto::

>Is there a definitive roundup somewhere of WebObjects-inspired
>frameworks? I'm using Tapestry at work, and really liking it, and I want
>to check out the Ruby equivalents for personal projects.

I think there are two: CGIKit and SWS/SDS.
The former has been around for a while and has a dedicated mailing
list, but it works more as a cgi than as an AppServer.

The second is quite new, it works as an AppServer (i.e. always
running) and has a system for object persistence (SDS) that CGIKit is
lacking. Take a look at both :)

Gavin Sinclair

On Thursday, November 20, 2003, 11:17:15 PM, Martin wrote:

> Is there a definitive roundup somewhere of WebObjects-inspired
> frameworks? I'm using Tapestry at work, and really liking it, and I want
> to check out the Ruby equivalents for personal projects.

Hmmm, I'll try to ping you on IRC about it sometime. Tapestry appeals
to me.

I understand CGIKit (http://www.spice-of-life.net/downlo...) is
inspired by WebObjects. It is certainly reminiscent of Tapestry.
Version 1.1.0 was released recently, but the author limited his
announcement to the Amrita list, unfortunately.

Gavin

Marek Janukowicz

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:32:51 GMT, gabriele renzi wrote:
>>Is there a definitive roundup somewhere of WebObjects-inspired
>>frameworks? I'm using Tapestry at work, and really liking it, and I want
>>to check out the Ruby equivalents for personal projects.
>
> I think there are two: CGIKit and SWS/SDS.
> The former has been around for a while and has a dedicated mailing
> list, but it works more as a cgi than as an AppServer.
>
> The second is quite new, it works as an AppServer (i.e. always
> running) and has a system for object persistence (SDS) that CGIKit is
> lacking. Take a look at both :)

I'd like to add the new development version of SWS (not released yet)
introduces the concept of "adaptor" - it can run as standalone
application (listens on its own TCP port), as FastCGI script and CGI
program (there are some issues with the last one). I'll soon add a
mod_ruby adaptor, but the last two will definitely be discouraged.

--
Marek Janukowicz

gabriele renzi

il 20 Nov 2003 16:35:24 GMT, Marek Janukowicz
<childNOSPAM@t17.ds.pwr.wroc.pl> ha scritto::

>I'd like to add the new development version of SWS (not released yet)
>introduces the concept of "adaptor" - it can run as standalone
>application (listens on its own TCP port), as FastCGI script and CGI
>program (there are some issues with the last one). I'll soon add a
>mod_ruby adaptor, but the last two will definitely be discouraged.

I'm always fascinated from WebObjects and thus from both SWS and
CGKit.

But I really never can get my mind through this system.

May I ask you to put something big enough in the package's
distribution to give an idea of development wiht it ?

Something like a mini-featured weblog, or wiki, or forum..
Simple yet complex enough to grok how to use the system.

Marek Janukowicz

11/21/2003

0

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 23:26:01 GMT, gabriele renzi wrote:
>>I'd like to add the new development version of SWS (not released yet)
>>introduces the concept of "adaptor" - it can run as standalone
>>application (listens on its own TCP port), as FastCGI script and CGI
>>program (there are some issues with the last one). I'll soon add a
>>mod_ruby adaptor, but the last two will definitely be discouraged.
>
> I'm always fascinated from WebObjects and thus from both SWS and
> CGKit.
>
> But I really never can get my mind through this system.
>
> May I ask you to put something big enough in the package's
> distribution to give an idea of development wiht it ?
>
> Something like a mini-featured weblog, or wiki, or forum..
> Simple yet complex enough to grok how to use the system.

Ok, I try to put up such example application. The problem is I really
hate writing documentation and examples (I think it's a common problem
among developers :). Yet I realize any library is almost useless without
good documentation, so I'll do my best :)

OTOH I don't get enough support from the users of SWS (maybe there are
none? :). It is really difficult for me to recognize the lacking areas
of docs/examples, because I know the library thoroughly and the way it
works is obvious to me :) So I encourage you and other SWS users to not
hesitate and contact me with any feature requests/flames etc. you may
have.

--
Marek Janukowicz

Martin DeMello

gabriele renzi <surrender_it@remove.yahoo.it> wrote:

> I think there are two: CGIKit and SWS/SDS.
> The former has been around for a while and has a dedicated mailing
> list, but it works more as a cgi than as an AppServer.
>
> The second is quite new, it works as an AppServer (i.e. always
> running) and has a system for object persistence (SDS) that CGIKit is
> lacking. Take a look at both :)

Thanks :) Went through the docs; they both look pretty interesting. I'll
have to try a small app in each.

martin

surrender_it

> I understand CGIKit (http://www.spice-of-life.net/downlo...) is
> inspired by WebObjects. It is certainly reminiscent of Tapestry.
> Version 1.1.0 was released recently, but the author limited his
> announcement to the Amrita list, unfortunately.

I'm quite sure I read the ANN here.. anyway, if someone has a
somethin' built using CGIKit would he mind to comment on his
experience (and well, possibly the code ;-) ?
It would be interesting to see how users not experienced with
WebObjects have faced that kind of developing aproach, for thos of us
that are not subscibed to the mailing list