Re: "stereotyping"

Austin Ziegler

11/20/2003 6:19:00 AM

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:31:37 +0900, Sean O'Dell wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 November 2003 07:56 pm, Austin Ziegler wrote:
>> Wrong. The reasons for not thinking that your proposal is useful
>> have been discussed several times. It is not a value-add. If
>> there's going to be an interface declaration system, it should be
>> (a) easy to use, and (b) optionally enforce the contract. Your
>> system doesn't do (b) and that makes it even worse because it's
>> got a nonzero mental cost when the alleged promise is broken.
> Read the RCR. It's entirely optional, and it's extremely simple.
> Too simple, as someone pointed out.

I did. It adds no value over and above what Ruby already has and
uses. You can say that the error messages will be better, but I
disagree. How is saying that "I expect a Socket" any better than
saying "I don't know how to deal with #accept"?

And *that*, Sean, is fundamentally why I disagree with this
proposal. It doesn't add value, and it makes promises that it can't
even come close to keeping.

-austin
--
austin ziegler * austin@halostatue.ca * Toronto, ON, Canada